Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Here are some of our new favorite non-beef burgers: Italian Turkey Burger, Grilled Tuna Burger and Goat Cheese Portobello Burger. You’ll want to perfect these before football season starts up in a few weeks! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Tweaking the temperature

HarryHarry Posts: 58
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a Boston Butt in the BGE now and unfortunately let the temperature get a little high when I started (400 degrees). It's been coming down nicely now and is about 240. Obviously I don't want to let it keep falling too far.[p]Is it better to tweak the temperature with the bottom vent or the top vent? It probably needs just a tad more draft to hold it steady.[p]Thanks
Harry

Comments

• Nature BoyNature Boy Posts: 8,291
    Harry,
    I prefer leaving my daisy holes wide open, and totaly controlling by the bottom vent. Sometimes if the temps get away from me, I will shut the daisy some. Otherwise I just leave the holes totally open. I feel like the fire just burns cleaner that way. Only as much air will come out of the daisy as will go into the bottom vent.[p]Just a personal preference.
    Have fun! Enjoy the pulled pork.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
  • HarryHarry Posts: 58
    Nature Boy,
    Thanks, right now I've got them both almost shut down. [p]Would there be less smoke flavor with the daisy holes wide open?[p]Harry

Harry,
    I don't think it makes any difference. You don't want a real thick smoke anyways. Once your temp starts dropping, I would open up the daisy again. The dome temp takes some time to respond to the smaller fire. If you wait too long too open it up a little, you might be doing a seesaw kinda thing with your temps.[p]Any idea what your cooking level temp is? 250 to 275 dome could be needed to get a 225 cooking level....dependning on your setup.[p]HTH!
    and Beers.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Nature Boy,
    Makes sense - no idea what my cookig level temp is. I'm using the normal thermometer through the top. It's fairly stabilized in the 220 to 240 range. I guess that's probably OK, but still higher than the 200 that Brandt recommends in his recipe.[p]I'm guessing that between 200 and 250 won't make a big differnece, but that remains to be seen.
    Harry

Harry,
    If you are using the platesetter, firebricks or a drip pan with water, your cooking level could be under 200. Something to think about anywho. [p]My suggestions on the daisy are just what I do. Do what you are comfortable with...people do it differently. [p]Have a blast with it!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Nature Boy,
    Excellent point about the cooking level temperature. I hadn't thought about that. I appreciate the help. [p]I'm a little reluctant to play with it too much - I don't plan to be up every 30 minutes to check it all night.<g>[p]Harry