Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do they de-bone trout ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone know how they commercially remove the bones from trout ?
Not that I am going to do it commercially... just wondering as I love trout and it is especially wonderful when you get those butterflied boneless wonders. How in the world do they get all those little bones out like that ? [p]That is one thing about trout... I love it... but hate messing with the bones and if there was some way to duplicate the process without tweezers and a jewelers lupe :) let me know. Thanks in advance.[p]Happy Egging... BB

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    trout2.jpg
    <p />BB:[p]I grill them whole and use two forks to separate the meat laterally as I eat them. Once you get the hang of it there is very little in the way of bones to fool with. You can always have them filleted at the market if you purchase them retail.

• Kevin D
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]That looks awesome. Do you do them direct at 350° or so?[p]Kevin
  • djm5x9
    Options
    Kevin:[p]Yes, about 325º to 350º grill temperature in a preheated cooker. Depending on quantity of fish being cooked time is about 30 to 45 minutes. Clean grill and fish brushed with olive oil is an important part of this cook to keep the skin from sticking and I only turn the fish once. Lawry's is a good basic seasoning.

• Looks about like what I do. Eat one side of the fillet, then pull out the spine with all the small bones attached.

• Dr. Strangelove
    Options
    BB,
    Don't know how to do it commercially, but the way that I have always butterflied trout is pretty easy. You do what amounts to a reverse fillet, rather than removing the meat from the bones, you remove the bones from the meat. Start with a 12" or larger trout because the bones are larger and easier to remove in this size fish. Use a thin blade fillet knife as sharp as you can get it. Start with a trout gutted in the normal fashion. Starting with the trout belly up run your knife between the "rib" bones all the way to to the backbone, freeing the flesh from the "ribcage". It helps to have a fillet knife with a very long skinny blade. Do the same on the other side. At this point you should have a ribcage standing up with two fillets skin on flat on the cutting board. Run your knife under the backbone to remove the ribcage. It is simply filleting from the bottom of the fish instead of the top. Expect to try several times until you get it right, it seems harder than it really is at first. Then put them skin side down on the grill at 400* with a pat of butter, some garlic and whatever spices you like for about three minutes, they cook very quickly. It is a little hard to get the hang of but the only way I prepare trout now.

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    trout1.jpg
    <p />BB,[p]The place where I but mine does it pretty much the same way JET describes. I like to smoke mine instead of grill them but they are very good either way. I have included a link to a recipe that I use in case you want to give it a try. Have a great day.[p]Chuck <><

[ul][li]Smoked Trout[/ul]
  • Chuck, great looking fillets ! this is very close to the way i prep them except i use chopped onion and fresh garlic in the brine . i always had trouble with the powders disolving . do you pull the secondary bones or just leave them in ? reg

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    reg, I just leave them in, they seem to almost dissappear with the slower cook. The guy I buy them from doesn't leave too many in either. I'll have to try the fresh onions and garlic to see if it makes any difference although I haven't had much of a problem with the powders by starting out with the warm water. Have a good one.[p]Chuck <><
  • Elder Ward
    Options
    JET,
    Great Descpition (S?)
    Elder Ward

• djm5x9, don't know if your interested or not but i do a few this way , rub the entire fish with olive oil , in and out , sprinkle a little garlic salt and pepper in and out , stuff with a combination of fresh basil and dill, then grill as you normally do . reg

• djm5x9
    Options
    reg:[p]Thanks, I will give that a try.

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Options
    Kevin D,[p]Looks like what we'll be having on "fishing" weekend!!

• JET,[p]I will give that a try ... or two or four :)[p]It sounds like it takes a little practice... but I understand your instructions.. very good instructions ![p]Thanks.. BB

• Chuck,[p]That looks like some beautiful smoked trout you had there ![p]Wow.... made my mouth water looking at them :) [p]Thanks for the recipe... I am going to go to Costo and get some maybe for tonight. Try the recipe and also try the de-boning process. [p]Thanks... :) and happy Egging ... BB

• djm5x9,[p]Nice looking trout there :) Did you catch those ?[p]Happy Egging.... BB