Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked oysters

Options
J Appledog
J Appledog Posts: 1,046
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a bunch of oysters. Does anyone know how to smoke them? Julie

Comments

• BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Gretl darn near wrote the book.

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    J Appledog, and here is Gretl's approach:
    Gretl's Grilled Oysters
    Submitted by Gretl (6-21-2001)[p]Ingredients:
    1 pt oysters
    2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1 TBS chopped garlic
    1/2 tsp hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is good)
    1/2 fresh lime (or lemon) juiced
    3-4 branches fresh Rosemary [p]Directions:
    Drain a pint of oysters (save the liquor for stew) and toss them with extra virgin olive oil, chopped garlic, freshly ground black pepper, a squirt or two of hot sauce (Sriracha sauce is very good; it's available in Asian markets), and maybe a squeeze or two of lemon or lime.
    Get the Egg going to about 300 to 350.
    On a rack over a shallow pan lined with foil, lay branches of fresh rosemary. I put a bit of water in the pan to keep the drippings from burning.
    Lay the oysters right on the rosemary in one layer.
    Set the pan on a couple of firebricks.
    Check the oysters after about a half an hour. They're done when they've shrunk up and are a nice brown color and are tender but not squishy. They have been left for as long as two hours without being ruined.
    Notes:
    I've used lower heat and longer time, and higher heat if I'm in a hurry. They are truly amazing. As far as smoke flavor...I have used alderwood chips, and I've used no chips at all. Both are good. Most of the flavor seems to come from the rosemary. Experiment and see what suits you!

• Citizen Q
    Options
    J Appledog,
    I haven't smoked oysters yet, but I do enjoy grilled oysters often. Simply place the live oysters on a hot grill with the round side of the shell down for 7 to 10 minutes until the top shells pop open. I usually do them with steaks after searing the first side and they are ready when the steaks are. A drop of tabasco and lemon or a dash of seafood cocktail sauce make a delicious treat.

• DTM
    DTM Posts: 127
    Options
    J Appledog,
    Hi Ms. J. The link below is our favorite way for osyters. If you don't have the shells you can do them in a disposable pan or make little individual cups with foil.
    DTM

[ul][li]Osyters[/ul]
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Wise One, Thanks to you, Gretl & all the rest. This is just the kind of recipe that I am looking for! JCA