Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip instead of Lobster tails.......

Options
Marv
Marv Posts: 177
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Costco was out of Lobster tails so picked up a pack of Tri-tips.
The little wife butterflied it and spread a mixture of old fashioned horseradish, garlic and some Montreal Steak Seasoning on both sides then folded back together and tied with butchers twine to hold it together. Then she rubbed the whole thing with more MSS and let it sit for about an hour at room temp.
I prepared the egg for a dome temp of 300 then inserted a remote thermoter in the center of the meat and set it for 145 (rare in center and more well toward the ends). I did not check the grate temp at all.
I placed 4 fire bricks on lower grate and used the raised grate for the meat.
I had the bottom vent open about a hair (1/16) and the top open all the way for the entire cook.
It was awesome, nice and brown and the MSS left it nice and crunchy on the outside.
Made a few (quite a few) slices for dinner that night (Sunday) then made some thin slices for French Dip sandwhiches for dinner last night. Now for lunch today will slice some and put on a hoagie roll and add some peperjack cheese for a kind of Philly Cheese Steak. Might have enough left for Fahitas tonight. If not will have to cook something else on the egg...DARN!![p]Marv

Comments

• Marv ,[p]Sounds like you are having a great time with your BGE!
    Bummer about the lobster .... maybe next time. [p]I know what you mean about the leftovers... I have a bunch of frozen pulled pork from about a month ago that I am going to break out tonight for BBQ sandwiches. Some drumsticks from about two days ago are in the frig. in baggies for lunches... etc. etc. You do eat well when you have Egging for a hobby :) [p]Happy Egging.... BB

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    BB, Having a great time with the egg!! It sure is a lot eaiser to use than my comercial smokers as far as maintaining the temp.
    My wife is the one who encouraged me to get the egg. I have wanted one for years but couldn't justify the expense when I had 3 comerical units sitting in my garage and could fire one up at anytime.
    We are both glad that she finally talked me into getting one.......Really puts out some goooood eatin'![p]Marv[p]