Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

'Puter Ignorant

Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love being computer illiterate! I read WMK's message about the new server. He said that the old server was still down and that his message would not be seen "over there." Went to the "old" site and his message is there too, along with WessB's suggestion, etc. Rod Serling, where are you ?!!

Comments

• You're just experiencing progress in action... Sometimes progress can be confusing.

Spring "The Longer I Live The Confuseder I Get" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Gandolf,

If you are seeing these messages, then you are not actually looking at the old server.

Domain names, like eggheadforum.com, or greeneggers.net, must be converted to ugly numeric ip addresses, like 72.52.211.209 (the address of the new eggheadforum). This conversion is handled by "domain registrars" like Network Solutions and GoDaddy. In other words, when you visit "eggheadforum.com", your browser consults Network Solutions to obtain the "ugly" address from the name.

And, to complicate things, this information is often cached (stored locally) by ISP's to speed things up. As a result, when a site is moved from one server to another, it sometimes takes a while for the changes to work their way through to everyone.

For you, the change appears to have "taken"; so, you won't be able to see the old server anymore.

It is possible though that others are still getting the address of the old server when they visit "eggheadforum.com"; so, for them the forum will still be offilne.

One other thing, you shouldn't confuse "old server" with "old forum". Both forums have been moved to the new server (which is a phyiscally differnt computer, in a different location than the "old server".) The transition to the new forum will be completed once we verify that the new *server* can handle the load.

I know all of this can be confusing, but it will all shake out in a day or two.

WMK
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    WMK,

Wondering, about the new server, CPU, amt memory, HD and OS Platform?

Is/was the speed problem with bandwidth and or server speed/capacity?

Thanks, Kent
  • Yeah......What he said.......
  • and what he said too............
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Ahh. Got it. Thanks WMK.

Dave