Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New server

Options
WMK
WMK Posts: 1,747
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The transfer to the new server is complete!
However, the new ip addresses are "temporarily" configured at the moment during the transition period. You may notice "strange" behaviour for the next few days due to network latency while the changes propogate through the network. Please be patient. [p]The old server is still offline, so you won't see this post over there; and, if you find yourself there, you won't be able to post. I'll be adding a notice to the top of that forum page so that it will be more obvious if it shows up for some of you during this period.[p]You may notice some "glitches" as well. We have not yet had time to test everything on the new server. You'll be helping us with that:-).[p]Thank you for your patience during this difficult period.[p]WMK

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    WMK,
    Thanks, I look foward to the new forum..[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    WMK,
    David, I was recently talking to Jason ( Hayhonker ) here on the forum, and he had an idea I was hoping he would pass on to you.....With regards to upgrading the server, if Ed doesn't want to spend the extra money to upgarde the server....why not set-up a paypal account for users to make a donation if they so desire...I know I would gladly make a donation if it will help us have a better experience here on the forum, and make things run smoother or faster.....[p]Wess

• WessB
    Options
    WessB,
    NM

Sorry...
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Wow, that made a difference. Very nice, WMK, and thanks for your work over the holiday. I hope you didnt miss the hideous massacre known as the Sugar Bowl.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Thanks for all the time you've put in for the forum WMK. Hope you get a long vacation once it's up and running right.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Hey, great idea...

I'd put in more than my usual $.02 worth!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    WMK, As every one else said THANKS!! I went into withdraws the last 2 days. Its 34 degrees and 15 mph wind in the sunny south and I'm messerable.
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Hey great lookin smoke shack! Man you need at least one more wall on that thing today! It's cold.
  • WMK
    WMK Posts: 1,747
    Options
    WessB,[p]Thank you for the thought. I think Ed was a bit surprised by the cost of a new server that *may* be capable of handling our volume with a database driven forum. But I think he is committed to supporting the forum as well.[p]There are a few optimizations that may be possible with the new forum to further reduce the load; so, it's hard to tell right now whether the new server will be sufficient.[p]We'll have to test it again and then perhaps tweak some settings (e.g. how many days of messages are fetched to build the index -- currently it comes up with 5, but that is a bit much these days -- i.e. we get a lot of posts every day).[p]Also, the "classic" index view is the most expensive page to display. Of course, only our forum has this capability -- most newer forums only display the messages for one thread at a time, which reduces the load considerably; so, the "threaded" and "flat" views are less troublesome. On the other hand, many of our members prefer the "classic" view; so, we're trying to give everyone what they prefer -- it is not always easy.[p]WMK
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    Thanks. I got a DigiQ II that should be delivered today. (I hope!!) A day like today is just what that is for. A good loooong sloooooow butt would be just the thing. I got the roll blinds on the north side to block the wind. Any more inclosing and be smoked out! lol pad003.jpg
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I also want to thank you for all your hard work. Everything seems smooth for now. Picture posting is much easier.
  • Slo-n-Lo Joe
    Options
    WMK,[p]I have a friend who owns a company that could provide the server and bandwidth you need. The good news - he might be interested in 'working something out" as he has lusted for an Egg for a while now.[p]Joe
  • Help...please change on my profile my e-mail address from .com to .net. i entered it wrong. sorry to add to your bust sched.. miles out