Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone inbeef ribeye roast

Options
double L
double L Posts: 90
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I realize this has probably been discussed many times on this forum but I have to ask again. I have a 3.69 lb roast at what dome temp and for how long should I cook to reach a medium rare center?I plan to use a platesetter a vee rack and drip pan. I thank in advance for your answers and any suggestions. Lenard

Comments

• DynaGreaseball
    Options
    double L,[p]Is that a 2 bone roast?
  • double L
    Options
    DynaGreaseball,Yes it is a 2 bone

• Ron_L
    Ron_L Posts: 163
    Options
    double L,
    I'm cooking a 6 lb boneless ribeye roast right now. I did one a few weeks back and I cooked it indirect at 275 dome temp and it too just about 30 minutes per pound. Do a search on "rib roast" or "prime rib" and you see lots of discussions from the few days before Christmas. Also, check out Thirdeye's Blog at the link below for his Prime Rib method and Mad Max's Prime Rib method at TNW's site.[p]http://nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm

[ul][li]Playing With Fire and Smoke Prime Rib[/ul]
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    double L,[p]If you've already cooked your rib roast, I'm sure the above mentioned sites gave you plenty of help. But, someone said a bone-in prime rib with less than 3 bones, should be cooked like a big steak. I have only cooked one (a 3 bone) but I don't see why the 2-bone won't work the usual way. I would say 325° for about 12 to 16 minutes per pound should get you a great prime rib that's rare to medium-rare in the center. Use your plate setter with legs up, a drip pan, and some smoke if you like it...I don't. Just remember to pull it early...say 120° then double wrap it in aluminum foil and let it rest for 1/2 hour or 45 minutes. The temp will rise on its own about 5 to 8 more degrees. Not sure I'd sear it that small though. If everyone likes rare to med/rare, just cut it and serve it. I'd say you'll get 4 nice cuts. Maybe a little searing would safely give some more well done end pieces. Let us know how it turns out.

• I am kind of awestruck with this new format,I cooked the rib roast with platesetter inverted with drip pan and rack I had a mavrick that showed 125 I then checked it with thermapen and it was about the same I pulled it and covered with foil for 15 min and sliced it it was pretty rare good for me but had to cook for a while in the m/w for my wife It is hard to get things right for two preferences . I used dizzy cowlick and it was delicious.thanks to all for your advice Lenard
  • I am kind of awestruck with this new format,I cooked the rib roast with platesetter inverted with drip pan and rack I had a mavrick that showed 125 I then checked it with thermapen and it was about the same I pulled it and covered with foil for 15 min and sliced it it was pretty rare good for me but had to cook for a while in the m/w for my wife It is hard to get things right for two preferences . I used dizzy cowlick and it was delicious.thanks to all for your advice Lenard
  • DynaGreaseball
    Options
    Way to go, Double L. Glad it was a success, and that Mrs Double L got what she wanted too. Take pictures! :cheer:
  • sorry for the multiple posts don't know exactly what I did wrong will try to do better