Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trust Your Polder

Options
Big Murth
Big Murth Posts: 350
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got done with dinner....5lb.Ribeye Roast---came out great, and it was the second one since I did an 11lb. at Xmas. Both times now, have pulled it off at internal Polder temp of 105, and gave it about a 10-15 minute rest under a loose foil tent wrap. I've read and collected plenty of posts re: prime rib, and ribeye roasts and have concluded that early and lower is better. Most folks besides myself, like and expect the meat to be red and juicy...and IMHO--if you let 'er go past 105, it's jerky time. For the more medium/medium rare set, resting the meat under foil will cause the heat to get trapped further, and will actually continue cooking. At Xmas, I left the Polder in after I pulled it off the Egg, and by the time I started carving, the Polder read 140! Still came out good, with 75% of the meat nice and pink. Just a thought I figure was worth sharing.
Today's cook: 5lb. Ribeye Roast, with CharCrust's Roto Roast, Kosher salt, and freshly ground pepper and a nice coating of olio d' oliva.
Inverted plate setter, drip pan and cooked on the regular BGE grid. Combo woods of J.Daniels barrel chips (oak), hickory, and apple. Started off at 250, eventual climb to 325, choked down to 300 and was finished in 1:45.
Hasta,
Big Murth

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Big Murth,
    Funny you mention trusting your polder...as last night I was cooking about a 5# ham which I had planned on pulling at 140°. Well it gradually made its way up to 138° and hung there, so I gave it a little longer..still no change...opened the vents a litlle more, still no change...finally said forget it..and pulled it anyway. I let it rest for about 15-20 minutes and whne I sliced it, it was amazingly dry....I never did check the polder last night but after seeing that meat I would say it got well over the 140° mark but the polder was stuck or something. I will look further into it this evening..Just my $.02[p]Wess