Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs-Temperature control

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have large BGE, cooking 6 BB slabs. Using Car Wash Mike technique. Great control at 210 until first mist after 1 hour, then temp jumps up to 240. Any good suggestions as to how to temper the temperature back down. I adjusted the lower vent a little--is there a quicker way?
Thanks
Happy New Year[p]Gary

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Olsonvet,
    I wouldn't touch it. 240° or a little higher dome temp is where you want to be.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Olsonvet,
    opening the dome introduces way more air than otherwise comes in thru the lower vent. basically, you added fuel to the fire when you opened it to mist.[p]the temps would return to the priginal setting, but it would take a while.[p]there's no need to mist like in a gasser or metal smoker. the ceramic holds heat, and very little energy is wasted. n a metal cooker, more heat gets radiated out than in, and that heat comes from somewhere, including the meat. that is what dries out your food in a metal cooker.[p]keep the dome shut all the way thru, and you'll remove that periodic spiking from the temp control equation.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    stike,
    I like to mist mine, and you can't stop me!! Straight top-o-the-shelf apple juice!! I feel better now. Makes them pretty sweet if you do it ever so gently as not to wash off the rub.

• Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Options
    If it spikes a bit that is ok. it will come back down. One thing about the BGE it has a mind of it's own and learning each egg's characteristics helps us control it and not it controlling it. Happy cooking.