Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Emergency!!!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I planned on a beautiful 8 lb brisket (First Cut) for dinner tomorrow night. I started it at 6pm tonight thinking it would be approaching done tomorrow late morning, early afternoon. Well it's 1 am...the egg overheated a bit...crept up to 300-350 for a stretch...and now the temp of the brisket is 195. I'm going to bed and didn't want it toast so I pulled it off and put it in foil in towels in a cooler. What do I do to make this brisket safe and delicious for tomorrow's dinner? It smells fantastic right now.

Comments

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Neek,
    Well you could leave it in the cooler for a couple hours and set the alarm and get up and put it in the fridge.[p]Or put it in the fridge now.

• dhuffjr,[p]What would be the best way to heat it up tomorrow?

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Neek,
    I've never had to reheat an unsliced one so I can't really give a good answer.[p]I'd think that if you make sure you keep whatever juices are in the foil then you could reheat it in the oven. Maybe add some beef broth to the pan you heat it in. You could also slice it up and then sauce it and reheat it that way. The sauce would keep it from drying.[p]Kinda uncharted territory for me.......[p]Bottom line the meat will not stay safe in the cooler all the way till morning so your on the right track getting it cold.[p]Tommorow will bring more ideas on heating up the beast.[p]H

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    dhuffjr,
    I helped at a BBQ place many years ago and got to know the owners. They were a respected place but did not cook every day. They wrapped the whole briskets in foil and reheated them whole, slowly in the oven (I would try around 225 for a couple of hours checking with a thermopen). I think you will still have a great meal.[p]Willy

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Neek,[p]I wouldn't put the meat directly in the fridge right now it needs a the rest period.[p]Your brisket is at 195° now. It will keep coooking and stay hot for about 4 to 5 hours if you foil it well and wrap. Most people say put it in a cooler with some towls or news papaer.[p]I would get some towl and or a blanket and after foiled & put in a zip lock or wrap well in plastic wrap. The plastic wrap will keep the smoke flavor out of the blanket. I bundle the meat up very well. The insulation from ambient temp is what you want.[p]The rest period is important. In 3 - 5 hours your brisket should still be hot or very warm at least. There will be some point when it will be wise to put in the fridge, the heat will not hold temp. until tomorrow afternoon.[p]When you get up re-post, explain what you ended up doing and ask for re-heating options.[p]I think you will find your brisket will be very good reheated.[p]Don't loose any of those juices.[p]I know what to do if the brisket is cooking to slowly but not quite sure what to do when it is done this far ahead of time other than the above suggestion.[p]Let us know how it comes out.[p]Kent
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Neek,[p]Good question, safe is the key here. I cook brisket often a day or day and a half before needed, specifically for reheating ..... Once done, I wrap in foil and hold in a cooler until they fall to 160° or 150°. This will be at least 2 or 3 hours. Next, I mix ice water (heavy on the ice) in an 80 Qt cooler. The briskets go into a vacuum seal bag, foil and all, and I pull a slight vacuum to get most of the air out. Then, one at a time, plunge them into the cooler for about 15 or 20 minutes. The goal is to get the internal below 40° as fast as possible. In other words, above 140° they are safe and below 41° they are safe, so minimize the time between the two.[p]For reheating, I either put the entire vacuum bag into a Nesco roaster with hot water or remove the vac bag and reheat in the oven, (still in the foil), at 275°.[p]Since yours has shrunk down to 5 pounds or less it should cool down pretty quickly for storage in the fridge. [p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • dhuffjr,[p]Well the beast is in the fridge and it has been for a while. I'll probably heat it up in the oven @ 225 starting at about 4pm today.