Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Setup ???

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]Planning to do my first beer butt chicken today. Rubbed the chicken down last night with a mixture of Olive Oil and Grilling Bills Jamaican Jerk Rub. Also injected with a combination of Red Stripe Beer mixed with the rub.[p]So what is the setup for these? I am thinking inverted plate sitter, second grill on top of sitter, drip pan with chicken standing in it on top of second grill.[p]Or do I just put the pan with the chicken directly on the setter? If so, do I still use the setter inverted?[p]Thanks![p]Mike

Comments

• char buddy
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,[p]
    Hi there CM. I'm doing a jamaican beer butt today as well. I put the sitting chicken directly into the drip pan. I put the drip pan directly on top of firebricks and these in turn go directly on just one grill. If I had a place setter, I'd probably use it instead of the firebricks. I don't use a second grill because I get an indirect cook just by putting a ceramic mass between the chick and heat. I used to do two grills and if I did use your set up I'd still put the chick in the drip pan just so I don't have a clean up problem after the cook. [p]I cook my jerk over low heat (225º). [p]Frankly, either set up should work just fine. All you're really worried about is keeping the dome temp at 225º for three to four hours until the leg meat hits 170º - although I like to take my temp to 180º and get a kind of pulled chick effect.[p]CB

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    You have probably thought aboutit but just in case you didn't, line you drip pan with foil for easier clean up. Sometimes I don't take the pan out till the next day, just wrap the foil up and out it goes. If there is a lot of fat (and it's cold) I put the foil in a leftover plastic grocery bag and into the freezer till garbage day. No mess, no smell.
    New Bob