Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron Grill Press ?

Options
TigerTony
TigerTony Posts: 1,078
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
One of my Christmas gifts was a Cast Iron Grill Press (Steven Raichlen).[p]Today I'm going to cook a spatchcock chicken on my BGE. I've cooked them many times in the past with great results. Today I'm thinking about using the press on top the chicken while it cooks in the egg. [p]The grill press has a wooden handle. On the package it says that the wooden handle is "heat-resistant". [p]My question is:
Does this mean that the press with the wooden handle can be used in the egg at 400 degree temp?[p]Your response is appreciated....Thanks!

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
New Orleans

Comments

• Chrisinhouston
    Options
    In my opinion if your heat is below 572 F ( the common flash point reference for wood) you should be ok as long as the wood handle is not being licked by any flames. The handle may dry out and crack over time.

In reality the handle is of little use as using it in the BGE will make it hot enough that you'll need a glove or mit to touch it. I have an old bacon press that uses a wire handle, probably a better idea.
  • The wood will not burn (ignite) at 400 degrees, but depending on the species of wood and the finish (if any) it could char. Any charring of the handle should be superficial and not degrade the handle for future use. But in any case, uf the handle can not stand up to 400 degrees, its not really worth having in the first place.

ps. If the temp inside the BGE is 400 degrees, the temp of the handle (wood or not) is also 400 degrees. Use care.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    DSC03220a.jpg
    <p />Tiger Tony,[p]I think the press is made for cooking bacon in a skillet or pressing sandwiches. I would not put the wooden handle in the Egg.[p]But, if you wrap your pizza stone in foil and preheat it, it makes a great press for chicken. Put the dark meat on first, the breast will not take near as long.[p]
    DSC03237a.jpg[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Thanks the pizza stone is a good idea, in fact I will use that today since I'm doing two spatchcock chickens, I might be able to press them at the same time.[p]I don't think this cast iron grill press is just for sandwiches and bacon.
    On the box it says "The grill weight keeps chicken from drying out, pressing the meat into the grill grate to give killer grill marks". Use with chicken breast and Spatchcock chicken, not to mention with pork tenderloins and thick chops."[p]This isn't a cheapo grill press from what I can see.

"I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• hayhonker
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I've seen that press. It looks like a nice one. My concern would be that it would stick to the chicken and remove skin when you lifted it. (Ever have pizza stick to the top of the box - sigh!)
    Might want to give it a quick squirt of Pam?[p]Just a thought, let us know how it goes and good luck!

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    I use a Cast Iron frying pan as a press and it works geat.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    thirdeye,[p]Doesn't pressing chicken or any meat make it dry?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Tiger Tony,
    a common fire brick wrapped in foil works as a press as well.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.