Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Garlic/onion paste for steak

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I came up with a great, simple way to season steaks. I had a couple of New York strips, which I usually coat with olive oil, and rub with salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. This time I mixed all of the above into a paste and poured it over the steaks in a ziploc bag. I refrigerated both, and cooked one about an hour later. The paste made an excellent crust. It was a little bit too salty, so I'll use less salt next time. I poured some red wine into the bag with the remaining strip, and I'm going to cook that one tonight. I think the wine will cut down on the saltiness some, and add some flavor. [p]Next time I do this I'll try it with fresh garlic and add some herbs.

Comments

• DavidR
    DavidR Posts: 178
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]I guess last night was the night for doing New York strips. ;) See above.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Here is a paste I have used many times. I am not even a big lover of bleu cheese, but this recipe is awesome!![p]Enjoy!![p]Couzan Billy Steak [p]RUB
    6 Garlic clove(s)
    1 tablespoon Rosemary, dried
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Salt
    1 1/2 teaspoon(s) Black pepper, coarsely ground[p]BUTTER
    1/2 stick Butter
    3 ounce(s) Cheese, Bleu
    2 tablespoon(s) Parsley, fresh, chopped
    3/4 teaspoon Rosemary, dried
    1/2 cup Walnuts[p]PREPARATION:
    Prepare the rub in a processor until it is a thick paste.
    Apply 2 teaspoons to each side of filets.
    Let stand 1 hour.[p]For the butter...[p]Toast whole walnuts in oven.....be careful not to burn.
    Then mince to smaller size.
    Add remaining ingredients in processor and blend.[p]Grill steaks and top with flavored butter when served[p]bbqflames.gif