Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

newbee cooking steaks

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, i was hoping someone can help me with my steaks. I am a new Egg owner and tried cooking steaks the other night; they came out tasting like carcoal? i used the receipt simple steaks on the forum. After i seared the steaks i closed everthing down and continued to cook them for an additional 4 min. I beileve this is where i created the smoke flavor, by snuffing out the coals. On a side note the steaks were juicy and done just the way i like them (med-rare) but the falvor was not good (lump charcoal falvor). Any suggestions or helpful hint would be very appricated, i plan on trying again tonight but at $60 a pop i would like to get it right.
Thanks,
Bip

Comments

• hank
    hank Posts: 84
    Options
    Hard to say what might have caused the flavor. I have found that some lump is less inclined to offend than others. One thing to consider is that when you are high-temping steaks make sure ALL of the coals are lit and lava-hot. Shutting things down with some smoldering lump can produce some off flavors...
  • lowercasebill
    Options
    [url] http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm
    go here, read this. i suspect closing the egg completely with the food still inside would give some yucky smoke to your meat. hope this helps happy new year
    bill[/url]
  • Bip
    Bip Posts: 2
    Options
    Bill,
    Thanks, i have heard of the nakedwhiz sight but have never visited it. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bip
  • Bip
    Bip Posts: 2
    Options
    Hank,
    I think you hit it right on the head. Remembering back i did have some of the carcoal that was not fully lit but the temp. was o.k. so i didn't think anything about it. do you have a suggestion on how to make sure all the coals get lit in a resonable amount of time (maybe i had to many)? I did steady the temp. of 725 for nearly 1/2 hour before putting the steak's on. Thanks again,
    Bip