Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rouladen

Options
Nessmuk
Nessmuk Posts: 251
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had Rouladen rolls made by a German Lady for Christmas. They weighed about 8 oz./ea. They cost $4.50 ea.[p]The Butcher sliced top round. Many Butchers will not do this as they have to disemble & clean the slicer before slicing lunch meats.[p]Gretl places a slice of Kosher pickle, onion, mustard, a slice of bacon & seasoning to taste in the roll.[p]I smoke them @ 250 til done. The guests ate them like they were the main course. Most guests don't know what Roulden is.[p]I have has Butchers use flank steak ($7/lb. here in Kansas City). It is a slightly different taste. Either meat is OK for me.[p]

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Hey Wayne,[p]We've cooked these many times on the stove top and served them over egg noodles with their broth but never tried cooking them on the egg. Might be time to give it a go over an open fire. The kosher pickle would be a new addition.
    Did you cook these in a pot or directly on the grill... any suggestions?[p]Thanks and Happy New year![p]john

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    WooDoggies,
    I cooked them indirect @ 225 to 250 as I do all products.[p]I serve them as snacks/finger food prior to the main course. Of course, I slice them so they can eat them as finger food.[p]Most of my guests do not know Rouladen...but rave about the taste...& take the remains home.[p]The average roll weighs about 6 to 8 ounces & costs $4.50 each.[p]You can make them but slicing the top round is impossible without a mechanical slicer. I do not have one.[p]