Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sausages

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i bought some mild italian sausages this weekend and cooked them on my egg. results: over cooked them. I need ya"lls expert input on how to cook good sausages, what temp. etc. I cooked these at 300 for an hour, poked a small hole in one, juice shot out, I closed the vents and left in egg while wife cooked beans and taters. By the time we ate the sausages were like jerky, tasty but way overcooked. thanks for the forthcoming advice.

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    slicktop,[p]Sausages are usually done at around 155º.[p]bbqflames.gif
  • Kevin D
    Options
    slicktop,[p]I cook sausages at the same temp for about 1/2 hour. If you have any doubt about doneness, use an instant thermometer for check for Stogie's recommended 155°.[p]Kevin
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Stogie:[p]You are thinking about smoking and slicktop is grilling. He just left them in the grill too long.[p]slicktop:[p]300º/325º is fine, time will be determined by sausage thickness. I would say about thirty minutes for those Italians. I always pierce the casings with a sausage pricker (or sharp fork) prior to grilling to release the fat.

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    djm5x9,[p]Doesn't matter how it is being cooked, just be sure it is over 155º.[p]Same with pork loins...I grill mine over high heat..done at 145º..same as smoking over low heat...done at 145º.[p]You are correct about the thickness....but meat temps are the same no matter how they are cooked.[p]I always suggest a thermo and a timer for the newbies....first few times you cook, notice the time and the temp. Once you make a couple batches..you shouldn't need the thermo.[p]Bombay Sapphire's to ya!![p]bbqflames.gif
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Stogie:[p]I misunderstood . . . I thought you were talking about temperature to be cooked at, not the done internal. We are in agreement.

• Trout Bum
    Options
    slicktop,
    I cook mine at 325-350 and they take 25-30 mins. for an internal temp of 160 degrees.
    B D