Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Roast is on

Options
Kelly Keefe
Kelly Keefe Posts: 471
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, the pork roast is on. I'm hoping for about a 2 1/2 hour cook at around 350°. Rough first start as I violated my own first rule: "Give yourself plenty of time to stabilize the temperatures. Burn lump, not meat." It took me over 45 minutes to stabilize. I think this is due to the weather, misty rain, 37° air temp, 29° wind chill with 15 mph wind gusts. (Yeah, yeah, I know. It aint that bad if you're north or west of here, but that's what I had to deal with.) I'm doing the cook indirect with plate setter "plate up", then grill, then a roasting pan with 2 cups water and a can of vegetable broth (will replentish), roast in a V rack. Veggies's go in about 30 minutes from now. Not looking forward to re-establishing the dome temps.[p]Noticed a few things a cjouple of times I've read about but never had happen to me. A "whoose" inside the Egg and then some flames shooting out the bottom vent. Kinda cool! Will NOT be wearing the nylon shell coat come time to add veggies - grin![p]Kelly Keefe
Jefferson City, MO

Comments

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Just a follow up. The cook went well after a rocky start. Roast came out as predicted, 2 1/2 hours after start. Added another can of veggie broth when I put the potatoes, carrots and onions in the drip pan. Made some darn good gravy! The dome temp actually went UP when I put the veggies on and I had to spend another 20 minutes getting it back to 350 but it came back down nicely. The roast had a nice smoke ring, which is odd because I didn't add any wood chunks. All in all a good meal. Will try this again and try and "perfect" it![p]Kelly
  • Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    Kelly Keefe, glad it turned out well. Sometimes when the wind is blowing good, it might pay you to turn your egg so that the vent is not in the wind. A whoosh of air in the bottom vent can make the temps go up.

• Kelly Keefe
    Options
    Wise One,[p]Good advice. The wind was alternately blowing from both the North and South. Egg vent was pointed to the East. My biggest problem with turning the Egg around (during the winter anyway) is lack of lighting. I have to point the Egg toward the house to make use of the patio light. I have a clip on lamp, but it's not strong enough all by it's itty bitty self....[p]Kelly