Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something I do

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been really getting into OAMC, Once A Month Cooking and trying to get a few things done so when I get home I do not have to decide on and cook a decent meal! when you get home after 6 and fall asleep by 8:30 and love to cook it is pretty sad some of the things we will settle for :) So lets share a few tips? better than slamming :)
I always feel bad shutting down the egg when it is at peak temp and clean smoke just because dinner is cooked and we are ready to eat. So I scrubbed about 20 nice russet bakers and rubbed them with Evo and salt and pepper and tossed on the large to cook while we ate. Then When they were done let them cool a little and cut in half. scoop most of the baked potatoes into mixing bowl and add sour cream, garlic, fresh chives, cheese, I used smoked gouda in this batch and salt and pepper and butter. beat till pretty smooth and refill the potatoes. freeze on a cookie sheet till firm and wrap 2 to a package. We use the food saver thingy. now if we want to do steaks some night, and want baked stuffed they are ready just toss them on and they are ready when the steaks are.
There are always a few skins left after filling I just grated a little of our smoked cheddar on them and tossed in the oven to melt. a cold Chiller and that is a nice start to the evening. I did meat balls the other night and they are all frozen, in the freezer 4 in a package no sauce for what ever I need to cook. Julie in cold snow Maine

Comments

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Juliem4444, These sound great! A really easy way to have a nice side for those Ribeyes I like to burn up :-) I am going to find one of those $10.00 vacum pumps and try a few. When you pull them from the freezer, how do you handle heating them up.[p]Sorry about it being cold in Main. High 50's here today and I thought it was cold :-)[p]Thanks
    Mike[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Great idea Julie. [p]That sounds really good. Those things could be easily whipped out for snacks as well. Dang! I just got me a new foodsaver too....my old one was vaporized in the fire, and I look forward to some vac-sealing soon![p]Gets me thinkin about my hashbrown thread a month ago. One of the suggestions (and I think the one that was most valuable) was to pre-bake the potatoes, then cool then shred for the hashbrowns. What a great way to pre-bake the potatoes....by using the heat from the egg as it cools.[p]Great to see some cool ideas. Not had time to read through all the craziness, but after 10 years around this place, I know the slamming happens every year when the daylight hours are short and people gots too much time behind the keyboard! Wish we had some of your snow. Stay warm!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Juliem4444,
    What a great idea about the potatoes! A real timesaver on weekenights.[p]Fluff from sunny So. Cal.