Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why chili on egg?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi everybody, I've had a large egg since last summer and love everything about it. Cooking is actually fun now! I also like to make chili, and have read some threads about making it on the egg, particularly Cin chili. In fact, I've ordered a few packs of Cin to give it a try. We're having a get together on New Year's, and I want to try the Cin, maybe on the egg. But it is cold here, and I only want to cook outside if there is some advantage. So what advantage is there to cooking Cin chili on the egg as opposed to the stove?

Comments

• Travis Bickel,
    I live in rather cold MD and I originally thought the same thing until I tried it. The egg imparts a subtle yet VERY distinct smokiness to the finished chili. so much so that i ended up buy a cast iron pot specifically for egg use. Sorry to use this phrase, but it rings true - it is a food of love thing, the extra step adds to the final product.

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Travis Bickel,[p]I suspect that question could be applied to almost any food dish that does not require the specific qualities imparted by an Egg, a grill, or charcoal. I have a good friend who is an accomplished gourmet chef. He attended Waldorf with me one year and, after watching folks like Mad Max do their magic, he opined that as good as the results are, many clearly are doing them on the Egg just because they can, not because the results are superior to other cooking methods. I agreed but added, "and its more fun."
  • Thanks Haggis and Yeti Bob, I'm going to make a test batch on the egg tomorrow. On New Year's, I'll make 2 batches, one on the egg, the other on the stove, then I'll let my friends decide if it is worth the extra work!