Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Chicken

Options
D2 in LV
D2 in LV Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had a terrific experience last night with my first attempt at Beer Chicken. Used GFW's ideas, as I oiled the bird and covered in JJ's rub. The chicken was moist and flavorful but I expected more of a roasted "kick" rom the skin of the bird. Any suggestions on how I might achieve this result? Has anyone put KOC's buttermilk goop on an entire chicken and cooked with the beer can? Loving my BGE, and enjoying quest in becoming a BBQ journey man!![p]D2.

Comments

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    D2 in LV,[p]I can't speak to the buttermilk question, but if crispy skin is desired a higher temp is usually needed. You didn't mention the cooking temp, but I like 375º - 425º dome cooking indirect with a small drip pan. If you like to smoke the bird at a lower temp, you can remove the can from the bird and then crank the temp up and brown the bird direct. If you use the later method, it only takes a few minutes so don't walk away.[p]Ashley
  • Kevin D
    Options
    BeerButtK1.jpg
    <p />D2 in LV,[p]My most recent beer butt chicken was my best. I cooked it at 450° for an hour on a large BGE. The skin was very crispy, and the bird was not overdone. I have done many beer butt chickens and have yet to overcook one. When you see the 4-5 pounders on sale, pick up a couple and try a few different methods. This picture is a beer butt on a Kamado #1 (about the same size as a small egg). I left the vents pretty wide open. The temp started off in the 350° area and climbed up to about 475° at the finish.[p]Kevin