Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Questions

Options
SouthTex
SouthTex Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am lookin to cook a standing rib roast for 4 people. 1st what size (4 bone?) and where can I find mad max's recipe for this. Also what would be a good rub substitute as I am without the dizzy pig. Thanks for everyones help.

Comments

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    SouthTex,[p]A 4-bone roast would be far too much for that many people. I did a 3-bone, six-pound roast yesterday and it fed six people with decent amount of leftovers. A 2-bone should suffice.[p]My prep included olive oil, kosher salt, cracked pepper and minced garlic. Mad Max, the Prophet of Prime Rib here, substitutes fresh rosemary for the garlic.[p]I'm going to let others prescribe the cook, since mine didn't turn out well. I think my temperature instrumentation has gone haywire.

• Eager Egger
    Options
    SouthTex, For 4 Adults, a 3 bone prime rib should be fine. I do not use a rub on Prime Rib, but rather just a mixture of minced garlic and a little olive oil under the fat cap along with the other spices recommended by Mad Max. His recipe is very good and makes it easy. The link for Mad Max's recipe is below.
    Mike
    Round Rock, TX

[ul][li]Mad Max's Prime Rib[/ul]
  • SouthTex
    Options
    SouthTex,[p]Thank you both. Recipe looks great!

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    SouthTex, A 3 bone (aprox. 5#) roast should be fine. I like to stud the meat on top with garlic cloves by making slits with a small knive and then pushing the cloves in (halved, if large) so that they're below the surface with the incisions closed over them. For a rub, I like Paula Deen's House Seasoning which is a simple mix of: 1 cup salt (coarse Kosher), 1/4 cup coarse ground pepper & 1/4 cup garlic powder. This kicks it up a notch without intruding on the flavor of your wonderful, prime rib roast. I like to begin with the sear so that there are no surprises at the end of the cook when one's attention might be divided. I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, so put it all together and come up with something that'll work for you. Happy roasting in your EGG![p]Rascal