Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

About a Christmas goose

gdenbygdenby Posts: 5,192
edited 11:17AM in EggHead Forum
<a href=ChrsmsGoos.jpg</a>">
<p />Above, a shot of a goose roasting, about 30 minutes from cooked. The result was good, tho' not spectacular.[p]I have medium Eggs, and so asked a few days ago about cooking goose in pieces. Everyone said pieces should be fine, but I was able to find a goose that was just 13.5 inches long (and about 11.6 pounds.)[p]Most recipes started the goose high, at 450, and then went lower. I figured that a stable Egg at 450 would be hard to cool. One old recipe said cook it at 250, and flip every 1/2 hour. I decided to compromise, and went with 325 - 350. flipping each hour. Cleaned of fat and giblets, the 9 pound goose finished in just about 3 hours. I slashed open the legs/thigh during the last 45 minutes to help cook them faster.[p]I drained a quart of fat from the drip pan, which was emptied 3 times. I reserved the drippings for later use.[p]Most of the meat was tender, and the skin between crisp and chewy. I suppose the geese were semi free range, as some parts were fairly tough, while others were tender. Curiously, the cooking was un-even. I took the temperature in 4 places, and observed 170 or higher. When slicing, some places were still bloody. I suppoese that despite 48 hours in the fridge, followed by a warm water bath, some portions were still frozen deep down.[p]But, best goose to date.[p]Happy holidays,
gdenby[p]