Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

5 Hour Brisket-Dinner Report

Options
Eager Egger
Eager Egger Posts: 236
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well we did our brisket for this evenings meal using the 5 hour brisket method. It was moist and really tender when cut, but tended to dry out on the plate quickly. Some Blues Hog BBQ Sauce saved the day. If your in a bind and want brisket in a short period of time, this is a good way to do it. But! There is nothing better than a low and slow all night cook.[p]Cutting the brisket
IMG_0397_resize.jpg
Ready to serve
IMG_0400_resize.jpg
On the plate with sides
IMG_0402_resize.jpg

Comments

• Jeeves
    Jeeves Posts: 461
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]
    Please leave doggie-bag on door step for pickup on Friday Night.[p]I'm in St. Louis and, well COLD![p]Where did you get that saw?[p]Before I left, I stopped by that spice company - I talked with Cynthia and I'll be stopping back there upon my return.[p]Happy Holidays!
    -jeeves[p]

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Jeeves, We have all been wondering where you were! With you, Spring Chicken and many others away, things are kinda quiet :-) The saw is from The Texas Brisket Company. It works well, but a little pricey with the Mesquite handle. I'll tell you all about when you get home. I am sure it's cold in St. Louis, but some good German Beer can fix the chill.
    Mike[p]

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    EagerEgger,[p]Looks great, Mike! Did you do a whole brisket? Or just a flat? That Brisket Saw looks intimidating...hehe.[p]Merry Christmas to you and your family--I'll see you after Christmas with some goodies for ya![p]-Mike[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    EagerEgger,
    looks great. .. if you do it that way again, take all the juices from the foil, add some beef broth to it, then lay the slices in a casserole dish and pour the liquid over it and keep it hot right until you serve it. .. it will be plenty moist then ... .

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Max: Great idea. I liked the tast, it just dried out quickly, so the broth would certainly help. The kids liked it anyway :-) [p]Oh yes,when you have that Chinese Dinner, I hear they have great Duck with the head left on.
    Mike[p]

• Eager Egger
    Options
    Mike: It was a whole Packer Cut and trimmed. We are making chopped beef sandwiches out of the 2nd half :-) Put a little Salt Lick sauce in there. Looking forward to seeing you later this week.
    Mike

• Grill Goddess
    Options
    Mikey,[p]Thanks for the report. I guess it's a different recipe when you're looking for something a little different. It's hard to beat the low n slow cooks for taste.[p]Russ's parents are in town. We took pulled pork over to my parents tonight and pigged out.[p]I try to cook extra whenever I bbq & take it to my parents. The other day they made a comment about a dinner they had & I asked how it was. They said nothing tastes good anymore compared to meat that comes off the egg. I was beaming with pride.[p]I can't believe we haven't made it to Austin. We'll definitely aim for the Egg Fest, if not sooner.[p]We hope you & Linda and the whole gange are having a wonderful Holiday.[p]See ya.
  • Eager Egger
    Options
    Grill Goddess, Boy it's good to hear from you and Russ. Glad to know your parents are enjoying the "egg". Did you ever get the new gasket on it? Most of the kids and grandkids were here yesterday and Rachel and her kids are coming over this weekend for a late Xmas celebration. I sure hope you and Russ can get over soon. Egg Fest is usually in April, so we would like to see you before then.[p]Yep, there is no substitute for the Low N Slow cooking of a Brisket. Glad I tried it and in an emergency it's OK. Needed to cover it with Au Jus or Blues Hog to make it edible and as you know having to use sauce on your BBQ makes it suspect in the first place :-)[p]Merry Xmas
    Mike and Linda