Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket advice

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, i put a 16lb brisket on this morning at 7am. It has been at 150 degrees since noon. When can i expect this piece of beef to be done? dome temp is 230. just curious if i need to get up in the middle of the night to check it. At 2 hours a pound it would take 32 hours. Can that be right? Also, how long will a full load of lump burn at 230 degrees? Thanks for the help in advance. BTW, this is my first cook with the bbq guru pitminder and i love it! I'm using it in tandem with my et-73. Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas![p]

Comments

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    BBq,
    Well, at 230 degrees with a pitminder it could burn well over 24 hours if you have a full load of larger sized lump pieces.[p]What you can do is wrap it in foil at about 170 or when it comes out of the plateau. Usually it only takes 1.5 hours per pound. A 16 pound brisket is pretty big. I have had 12 pounders stick in the plateau for about 4-5 hours.

• Scotty's Inferno
    Options
    BBq, Bump up the temp to 250, at least. I do brisket at 250-275 with good results. Make sure your probes are in the right place and getting good readings. The long 150 degree reading would only make since if it was a plateau, but even a 3 hour plateau is a long one. You're going on 8 hours? [p]Your lump question depends on type and how much. You should definitely check your lump if unsure. If your fire dies, you'll lose a 16 pound brisket--not good. I've never cooked longer than 22 hours, so 32 is pushing it. [p][p]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    BBq,[p]Don't sweat it. A 3 hr plateau is nothing. I've had them much, much longer. Once it leaves the plateau it flies. I've had briskets come in right at 1 hr/lb lately..sometimes a little longer. 2 hours is very VERY unlikely. 230 is fine. I do them around 225 and they do lovely. If you're on a large with a ton of lump, you should be ok for how long it takes to cook this. If your thermie starts yelling that it is cooling down, you may need more charcoal, but don't worry until then. BTW, if you have a plate setter in there (unnecessary, but popular), it will slow you down a couple hours.[p]Hang in there.[p]mShark
  • Buster Dog BBQ,
    okay it is out of the plateau and now at 167 degrees. how long do you think before it will be ready to take off? thanks for your help :)

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    BBq,
    Well, if it you wrap in foil now it will climb pretty fast. It will get to 195 pretty quick. My guess is 1 - 1 1/2 hours. IF you let it go it might be 2-3 hours. That's just a guess. I have never done one that big, but foiling would definitely go much quicker. Downside is you lose some bark.

• Buster Dog BBQ,
    okay i guess my question now is whats the best way to reheat since this is for dinner tomorrow at 5pm (17 hrs away) i was counting on it taking 28-30 hours but it looks more like 17-18. thanks again!

• Buster Dog BBQ
    Options
    BBq,
    Well, I would make sure when you pull it off the egg, you put it in foil and towels in a cooler (no ice) for 2-3 hours for the juices to settle. Then put in the fridge. I made the mistake a few weeks ago of pulling and putting straight in the fridge at it was awful.[p]I guess reheating will depend on how you plan to serve? I heard some people wrap it in saran wrap and foil and then heat at 250 or so until the temp comes up. I usually put it in food saver bags and then put them in boiling water for about 10 min. I have heard people talk about using coke to help reheat but not tried that. Maybe someone else can jump in.