Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options
Raining Claw
Raining Claw Posts: 23
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay i just picked up a 14lb (Prime)Prime rib from my butcher for 11.99 a pound. Question i have is, my butcher was telling me to pull at 150* for a medium-rare to medium. I was thinking more like 125 or so from what i have read on here. Also, he mentioned to go ahead and apply the seasoning (herbs, garlic, etc minus any salt) today and allow it to sit in the fridge til i cook on Christmas. Any input would greatly help..should i follow his advice?? (this is my first cook with a prime rib). Also, I was thinking of cutting this hunk of meat in 1 pieces and maybe cook one a bit longer for those who dont care for medium rare-medium cooked meat. Sorry for such a long post...thank you all for all your help!!
-RC

Comments

• AlaskanC
    AlaskanC Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Raining Claw,[p]ewww -yeah, 150 would be like potroast! Pull at about 120-125, tent it with foil and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I would definitely cut the roast into 2 parts just for logistics sake.
    Also - it wouldn't hurt to put all your seasonings on it now, but I don't really know that it would do anything to help either. If you are like me and just need something to futz around with, then by all means, do it. :)

• Lawn Ranger
    Lawn Ranger Posts: 5,467
    Options
    Raining Claw,
    Welcome Texan! AlaskanC is correct....125 to 130 will get you there. The seasoning part is probably fine. I'd use Herbs of Provence...MadMax turned me on to those....Great flavor. [p]Happy Holidays![p]Mike

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    DSCN1525.jpg
    <p />Raining Claw,
    Pull at 125* let rest for 30min. then carve

• Raining Claw
    Options
    Lawn Ranger,[p]Thanks for the input...yeah, i was thinking of getting some Herbs de Provence..but havent found it yet. Is it carried at most grocery stores??
    Thanks,
    RC

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    7a551d14.jpg
    <p />Raining Claw,[p]It's a real shame to purchase a $170 piece of meat and have the butcher give cooking advice that is off the mark. [p]The one in the picture was maybe 4 pounds and was pulled at 120°-125°. Heavier ones will have a larger carry over of temperature during the rest.[p]Cutting in half and cooking to 2 different finish temps is a good idea, plus this will give you 4 end cuts instead of just 2.[p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Raining Claw
    Options
    thirdeye,
    Great..thanks thirdeye. Yeah, $175 to be exact...but i am sure it will be well worth it. I had a feeling i needed to ask the forum the specifics when after asking the butcher cooking directions he responded with, "i can cut'em, just not cook'em".."the one and only i cooked, i burnt". He quoted the degrees to cook out of some book..at any rate, i thank you for the help.[p]Merry Christmas to you and yours,
    -RC

• Raining Claw,[p]Most grocery stores carry it, but in a pinch.[p]Spice, Herbs de Provence, #1
    [p]Ingredients:
    2-4 Tbs marjoram, dried, powdered
    4 Tbs thyme, dried, powdered
    4 Tbs summer savory, dried, powdered
    4 each bay leaves, crumbled
    2 Tbs basil, dried, powdered
    2 Tbs oregano, dried, powdered
    1 Tbs rosemary, dried, powdered
    1 tsp sage, dried, crumbled
    1 tsp lavender, dried, powdered

Combine ingredients and keep in sealed jar. Keeps for 1 year.

[p]

• Raining Claw
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    Awesome...thanks Richard FL. What part of Florida? I'm originally from a small town in central florida called Wauchula.[p]Merry Christmas[p]RC

• thirdeye
    Options
    Raining Claw,[p]And with the best of intentions, he may have been quoting from a USDA approved temperature guide. I follow these numbers and they have been good to me.[p]Beef Roasts/Steaks ...120°-125° rare 125°-130° medium rare 140°-145° medium [p][p]<html><font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font></html>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Raining Claw,[p]We live in Melbourne, about 30 minutes from Cape Caneveral and the home of the shuttle. Happy Holidays.

• thirdeye,[p]Your picture looks outstanding. Do you rest your's T-Rex style? Do you use a drip pan while cooking? [p]david
  • thirdeye
    Options
    dmk005,[p]Thanks, I'm doing one on Christmas eve. I can't wait.[p]No, I don't use the T-Rex method. I do a very low temp cook around 225 degrees at the grate. After resting, if it needs it I do an end sear. The standard set-up is indirect using a plate setter and a drip pan, but I have also been playing with a raised direct set-up with the same cook temperatures. They don't need the end sear.[p]<font size="3" color="green">Merry Christmas</font>
    <font size="3.5" color="green">~t<html><font size="3.5" color="red">h<html><font size="3.5" color="blue"><font size="3.5" color="blue">i<html><html><font size="3.5" color="orange">r<html><font size="3.5" color="green">d<html><font size="3.5" color="red">e<html><font size="3.5" color="blue">y<html><font size="3.5" color="orange">e<font size="3.5"<font size="3.5" color="red">~<html><font size=3.5" color="black"><html>[p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Rub
    Rub Posts: 8
    Options
    Raining Claw,
    I'm up the road from where you were, in Winter Haven.
    We have a cookoff down in Wauchula.
    Do you know the Crews family?[p]Rub

• Raining Claw
    Options
    Rub,[p]I know several crews'and some i am related to..which Crews would you be speaking of?? Feel free to email me if you like.. drbarwick (at) sbcglobal (dot)net.