Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

wok

hounddoghounddog Posts: 126
edited 12:49PM in EggHead Forum
other than pleasure of doing it, is there any benefit to cooking with a wok on the egg over the stovetop? Once you get a handle on temp control and how to use it, is there any difference?[p]
·

Comments

• JethroJethro Posts: 495
    hounddog,[p]Can't help you but I had wondered bout the same thing for quite a while.[p]Jethro
    ·
  • hounddog,[p]I haven't actually done it either, but I'll take a shot at it. Wok cooking is generally done at very high temperatures. I would guess that, unless you had a professional grade stove, you can't get the heat up as high as you can on the Egg. Wether that makes a difference or not I don't know. Guess I'll have to dig the woks out of the attic and try....[p]Just a WAG - grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

·
  • hounddog,[p]I wokked out at the Eggfest last year and I still occasionally wok. The wok I use fits so snuggle on the fire ring that there is very little temp change. I'm guessing that the temp is somewhere between 500 º and 550 º. I think that's hotter than what I can get on the inside stove. Anyway it works. Did you see Alton Brown this week - he woks squid. I'll have to try that one.
    ·
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    hounddog,[p]I'll use the wok on the Egg over the stove top anytime. Much higher heat on the Egg, which is a good thing for stir fry. Chicken and shrimp with veggies is my favorite to date.[p]Puj
    ·