Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

wok

hounddoghounddog Posts: 126
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
other than pleasure of doing it, is there any benefit to cooking with a wok on the egg over the stovetop? Once you get a handle on temp control and how to use it, is there any difference?[p]

Comments

• JethroJethro Posts: 495
    hounddog,[p]Can't help you but I had wondered bout the same thing for quite a while.[p]Jethro
  • hounddog,[p]I haven't actually done it either, but I'll take a shot at it. Wok cooking is generally done at very high temperatures. I would guess that, unless you had a professional grade stove, you can't get the heat up as high as you can on the Egg. Wether that makes a difference or not I don't know. Guess I'll have to dig the woks out of the attic and try....[p]Just a WAG - grin![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• hounddog,[p]I wokked out at the Eggfest last year and I still occasionally wok. The wok I use fits so snuggle on the fire ring that there is very little temp change. I'm guessing that the temp is somewhere between 500 º and 550 º. I think that's hotter than what I can get on the inside stove. Anyway it works. Did you see Alton Brown this week - he woks squid. I'll have to try that one.
  • PujPuj Posts: 615
    hounddog,[p]I'll use the wok on the Egg over the stove top anytime. Much higher heat on the Egg, which is a good thing for stir fry. Chicken and shrimp with veggies is my favorite to date.[p]Puj