Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Povitica Bread?

Car Wash Mike
Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone tried this? Looks good. I pulled a recipe off google and think, I might try it this weekend.[p]Mike

Comments

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Car Wash Mike,
    yep! grew up on it! we made ours with walnuts, poppyseed apricot or lekvar (prunes)![p]
    I have family recipe if interested...email me![p]Sretan Bozic! Sretna nova godina!

• GirlyEgg,
    Now you know that is going to fly. Others are going to want it as well. LOL Unless you don't want to give it out.
    This one calls for pecans, cocoa and cinnamon.[p]Mike

• GirlyEgg,
    I forgot. 1 recipe calls for scalding milk, the other calls for lukewarm. What do you suggest?[p]Mike

• GirlyEgg
    Car Wash Mike,
    ha! that was merely a stall tactic while I locate it in my recipe "archive"... ;-)

• GirlyEgg
    Car Wash Mike,
    lukewarm to dissolve the yeast... scalded for the nut mix filling. I only have scanned copies of her recipe... I'll type out and post. Give me about 15 minutes

• GirlyEgg,
    No hurry, I might be biting off than I can chew, since I don't do bread very often. Any pics? Thanks for your help.[p]Mike

• Car Wash Mike,
    Used to eat it with rasins and cinnamon. [p]Jerry

• GirlyEgg
    Car Wash Mike,
    Here's the recipe... The pic is some that we bought in Samobar (Croatia). It's much bigger than mine.. but it was good! Mom will make some for Christmas, so I'll take some pics when I'm home in Ohio next week![p]Let me know if you have any questions![p]100_1923.jpg[p]Povitica/Nutbread/Kolach[p]This recipe was my grandmother’s and it was her mother’s before that… as written by my mother who followed her and translated her “handfuls” into measurements. I’ve made the recipe several times, so I’ve written in a few tips below. Note that the baking time is for a gas oven.[p]6 cups Flour
    1 tsp Salt
    3 Eggs, beaten
    ½ lb. Butter
    3 Tbsp Sugar or (¼ cup)
    ½ pint Sour Cream
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1 small cake of yeast (make sure it’s not past its expiration!)
    ½ cup warm milk[p]1. Dissolve yeast in warm milk and sugar – let it “work” (usually takes about 46 seconds).
    2. Put flour on kneading board or table covered with cloth dusted with flour and make a hole in the middle (like a volcano)
    3. Mix together eggs and sour cream and add to “hole” in the flour.
    4. Add the yeast mixture to the “hole” in the flour
    5. Knead until all are blended into smooth dough and divide dough into 5 balls.
    6. Separate dough into 5 equal sized balls.
    7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
    8. Brush a cookie sheet (with sides) with melted butter until all surfaces are covered.
    9. Roll each ball with a rolling pin to the size just bigger than a pie crust.
    10. Spread filling over entire surface – leaving about a ½ to ¾ inch border around the edges.
    11. Begin to roll by folding over one edge about ½ inch and continue to roll by pulling up cloth.
    12. “Seal” the seam by “patting” with water.
    13. Place the roll – seam side down – on the cookie sheet and let sit ½ hour to rise. 2 rolls should fit on each cookie sheet… though can do one to try out to see how much it “spreads” – though shouldn’t be much…
    14. Brush the top of the roll with butter and make several pricks on the top of the roll with a fork (will help prevent splitting).
    15. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes (should be golden to dark caramel color on the top)[p]Nut Filling:
    2 cups sugar
    1 lb. ground walnuts (ground, not chopped!)
    1 egg
    ½ stick Melted butter
    Honey to taste (about ½ cup)
    Scalded milk to make the mix a paste ( ½ cup or more)
    Mix all together – consistency should be a paste, and not too “wet” - Should be the consistency of thick oatmeal.[p]Poppyseed Filling:
    2 cups sugar
    1 lb. ground poppyseed (not whole!)
    1 tsp Lemon juice (to cut bitterness of poppyseed)
    1 egg
    ½ stick Melted butter
    Honey to taste (about ½ cup)
    Scalded milk to make the mix a paste ( ½ cup or more)
    Mix all together, consistency should be a paste and not too “wet” - Should be the consistency of thick oatmeal.[p]Apricot & Lekvar (Prune – don’t knock it ‘til ya try it!) Filling:
    Apricot and Prune fillings can be found in the baking section of the grocery – usually near the almond paste and pie fillings. Note that you can also find poppyseed filling here, but this is probably okay, but fresh poppyseed is best! Note that regular preserves may work, but the consistency of preserves is MUCH thinner than the fillings

• Jwirlwind,
    Thanks.[p]MC Mike LOL Just joking with you buddy.

• GirlyEgg,
    Thanks and you got mail.[p]Mike

• mb168
    mb168 Posts: 265
    Car Wash Mike,[p]I worked with these guys on some software but things didn't work out. I wish it had because many of my food customers send samples at this time of year and I think theirs would have been good. Strawberry Hill Povitca.[p]Can't wait to see the pics Mike!!