Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buttermilk Ribs

Options
WJS
WJS Posts: 54
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was planning on trying the buttermilk ribs that everybody's been talking about for my Superbowl Party this weekend. I wondered what your experience/suggestions are. I made some notes a few weeks ago on ratios and spices.[p]Butttermilk/mustard 1:1
Cayenne pepper
Prudhomes/Brucies/Rib and Butt Rub
3:1:1/1.5 Method[p]I think there were mentions of basalmic and to make it spicier than you might think, because it mellows.[p]Any feedback?[p]Thanks!

Comments

• butrmustmix.jpg
    <p />WJS, sounds like you are right on. Just enough buttermilk so when you add your mustard and spices (and the balsamic is a great addition), you will have a not too thick and not too thin goop. Here is a picture of what it will look like. And yes more spice is better as it will not be quite so strong after cooking. Try to picture how much you would shake on the ribs if you were not using any goop. Cayanne pepper is a must and will not burn your guests lips. Use a tablespoon full for a 2 cup mixture.

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    WJS,[p]KOC is the father (and mother ;-}) of the buttermilk method. I used it the last time I cooked ribs and was VERY happy with the results. I am not sure of the cooking method KOC uses but I did my direct at around 220º. For smoke I used a cople of chunks of hickory and about half an onion.[p]Enjoy,
    Jethro[p]

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Options
    Jethro,
    You threw half an onion on the coals with the hickory?
    H'aint never heard o'that!
    WD

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    Options
    WooDoggies,[p]Someone posted about doing it probably 3 to 6 months ago. I've done it a couple of times. I am sure how much flavor it adds, but it sure smells good.[p]Though that buttermilk sure stinks until it dries up![p]Keep em Smokin,
    Jethro