Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork and crock pot

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
First of all thanks for all the responses I get when posting questions. It makes the learning curve a lot easier. [p]I am putting my first boston butt on my egg tonight. I think I have 2 9-10 pounders. I am putting them on at 11 with hopes they get done before 530 and after 130. but thats hoping. I need to take it to a christmas party when done and was wondering on the best way to transport it. I am going to pull it at home but it may be an hour before it gets ate. Am I ok to putt in a crockpot or is it better to leave in a pan. Also I want to add some sort of liquid ie coke, apple juice or if any one has a really good vinegar base sauce to use that would be good to. I just don't want it to get cold and/or dry out. thanks againg for the help.

Comments

• BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    hawkegg,
    Try to get it done closer to the time you are leaving (4pm), Wrap it in foil with 1 cup of apple juice when it hits 165° internal. Pull it at 195° and wrap it in towels and place it in a small cooler. Do not pull it until you get to your Christmas party. It will be piping hot. It will stay hot in the cooler for 4-5 hours.[p]Bob

• Morro Bay Rich
    Options
    hawkegg,[p]Hot Vinegar Barbecue Sauce-NC
    [Ref NC Pork Council][p]For a whole pig:[p]2 quarts vinegar
    1 1/4 -1 1/2 oz red pepper, crushed
    salt to taste[p]Shake before each use

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    hawkegg,
    This is off the question you ask, but the pulled pork stays hot a long time when it's wrapped and stored as suggested. Matter of fact, it can be too hot to handle. That's the reason of my response. I would suggest you, or anyone that doesn't have them, get a set of Bear Claws. I saw them recommended on here, got a set, and man, they can tear a butt apart in a NY minuet. They are, in my opinion a good tool for butt cookers, and they make it easy on the hands too.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    hawkegg,
    I pull the meat as close to party time as possible, then keep it warm in disposable chafing dishes. The large bottom tray holds water heated with sterno cans and the half pans hold the meat. They keep the meat warm for hours. You can get them at party supply stores, I got mine at Sam's club. I don't sauce the meat but I bring along some Carolina style and Kansas City style sauces so people have a choice. -RP

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    AZRP,
    The chafing dishes look like these. -RP

[ul][li]Chafing[/ul]
  • BBQ Bob Trudnak
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    Bear Claws are a GREAT idea!

• Salmon
    Salmon Posts: 146
    Options
    hawkegg,
    follow the link to an excellent sauce [p]Rick

[ul][li]Fat Johnnie[/ul]
  • billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    BBQ Bob Trudnak,
    i preheat the cooler with a tea kettle full of almost boiling water. pour it into the cooler 15 minutes before you put in the meat. pour off water line with towels add foiled meat more towels happy party time.