Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork

Options
GerM
GerM Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have always been content with cooking a rib roast of beef in the oven for Christmas. But now, since I have an egg, my wife wants me to do something different. She doesn't usually like pork, but has really enjoyed the ribs I've made using the 3-2-1 method, and the pulled pork I made for a party last week. She likes the smoked flavor of the pork, but I want to do something a little more formal than pulled pork for Christmas dinner. Does anyone have any suggestions of pork meals? I would like to do a pork loin. Any ideas on rubs or other prep and cooking (egging) methods would be appreciated[p]Thanks,
Ger

Comments

• GerM,[p]Here is an idea from the Pork Loin King. [p] Pork, Loin, Stuffed, Mr. Toad's

The talk of EGGtoberfest98. It has become so popular it even has its own photo layout.

[p]Ingredients
    1 3 1/2-4 Lbs Pork loin. Have the butcher cut it lengthwise into three pieces.
    1 11.5 oz jar fig preserves
    dried fruit - apples, apricots, peaches (use at least 2). Fresh is better if available.
    cashews
    Smoked bacon

Preparation
    1 Give the pork a good pounding.
    2 Spread fig preserves equally between layers.
    3 Add dried fruits. One or more to each layer.
    4 Sprinkle cashews between each layer - be generous.
    5 Lay out strings - place bacon slices across the strings to cover bottom of the loin.
    6 Place loin onto strings so that the loin bottom is on the bacon.
    7 Cover remainder of loin with bacon strips running lengthwise.
    8 Tie strings securely.
    Cooking
    1 Place loin on V-rack. Use a drip pan.
    2 Cook at 300° until the internal temprature reaches 140°.
    3 Allow the meat to rest for at least 15 mins before slicing.

Servings: 1

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Mr. Toad[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mr. Toad[p]The variations are limitless. Different fruit, different preserves. Marinating the fruit in various wines or liquers. Injecting the pork with marinade(s).[p]
    [p]

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    GerM,
    crown roast!
    can't get much more formal than that

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    DSC00195.JPG
    <p />GerM,
    YB's crown roast would definately be a hit..I couldn't find the recipe in the fourm recipes but it is in the Eggtoberfest cookbooks on my website...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB's[/ul]
  • Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    WessB,
    Your butcher did a perfect job of forming the crown pork roast. Over many years of cooking them, some butchers aren't skillful @ shaping them.[p]What filler did you use. We have tried many & now only use hot Italian sausage.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Not mine at all...that's all Larry or "YB" here on the forum...he does em every year at Eggtoberfest..as I said, I checked the submitted recipes and it's not there...I know for a fact it's in the "Eggtoberfest" cookbooks on my website done by WiseOne..and it is a thing of beauty..[p]Wess

• WessB,[p]Does this help?[p]Pork, Crown Roast, YB

A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin. My meat cutter takes a 8 or 9 pound loin with about 14 bones, cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in acircle and ties it with butchers twine.

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    8-9 lbs pork loin
    1 lb sausage with sage
    1 apple
    1 onion
    1 small package of mushrooms (8 oz)

Procedure:
    1 Chop apple,onion and mushrooms.
    2 Brown sausage,onion,apple and mushrooms in a frying pan.
    3 Make sure apples, onions, mushrooms and sausage are thorughly mixed and hold the
    4 mixture in the bowl.
    5 Cooking
    6 Paint the roast with yellow mustard and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
    7 Place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350°.
    8 Allow the roast to cook for about 2 hours.
    9 Remove the roast and put the stuffing in the center of the crown roast.
    10 Return the roast to the grill and cook it untill the internal temp reaches 150°.
    11 Take it off, let it rest for 15 minutes, cut it up and serve.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: YB (Larry Ward)[p]Source: BGE Eggtoberfest '06, YB, 10/21/06

[p]

• BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Options
    3020410c.jpg
    <p />GerM,
    I like a simple Bone-in pork rib roast. I cook direct at around 375/400 to an internal temp of 145. I season with Paul Proudhomes pork seasoning. Good luck, Tom