Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time Posting: Need Help w/ Christmas Eve Menu

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello, DH and I just got our first Egg (a large) over Thanksgiving, and we've been having fun experimenting with it. So far we have made Cornish Game Hen, Beef Ribs, a whole chicken, a pizza, hamburgers, salmon, and beer bread (see my food blog for more info on that.) But I digress...[p]We are having a few family members over for Christmas Eve, and I need help from you seasoned Egg-heads with my menu! We are attending a Christmas Eve service at 6:30, so I thought we could have appetizers beforehand, then come back and have dinner. Everyone in the family is excited for DH's new toy, and they would be thrilled if we used it at some point. So, here's what I need: appetizer suggestions and ideas for a nice, light dinner (since we're having the traditional turkey dinner the next day - which DH is cooking on his egg!) I want to do something different for the dinner - not a "meat and potatoes" type of meal. Also, do you leave your Egg at home while it is cooking? Because unless what we cook is really quick, that's what we'll have to do. Thanks in advance!!
[ul][li]My Food Blog[/ul]

Comments

• Slotmercenary
    Options
    Jacki,
    You could try several things that could fit both appy's and meal. Pizza, Quiche, ABT's,blue cheese portabella burgers,do a fattie for slicing,baked apples and the list goes on. wilt some arugala and serve with a warm raspberry vinagrette dressing is a nice starter. as far as leaving the egg at home it may cause seperation anxiety! LOL
    Bon Apetite'

• Jacki,
    ABT's are a popular appetizer depending on if your guests like spicy food. Same w/ Wings, although you don't have to make them spicy. I'm planning on doing a crown roast for our big dinner. We're sick of turkey and I've never done one. Pork tenderloin is also very light and a quick cook. You could also do stuffed peppers. I like doing stuffed poblanos, but bell peppers are great egged too. Good Luck!

• Jeffersonian
    Options
    Jacki,[p]I'd echo the idea for wings. They're light, crunchy and can be made any number of ways, not just spicy. I've included a link to Dizzy Pig's crunchy wing recipe...adjust as you see fit.

[ul][li]Dizzy Pig Wings[/ul]
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    Jacki,
    i love the stupped poblanos
    [p] · 6 large poblano peppers or green bell peppers
    · 2 cans (16 ounces each) low-sodium pinto beans or black beans
    · 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon for drizzling
    · 1 medium onion, finely chopped
    · 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
    · 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and finely chopped (for a hotter filling, leave the seeds in)
    · 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
    · 1/4 fresh cilantro, chopped
    · 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds (optional; see Note)
    · 1 teaspoon ground cumin
    · 1 to 3 teaspoons of your favorite hot sauce, or more to taste
    · 3 cups (about 12 ounces) pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, or white Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
    · Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
    · 1 cup wood chips or chunks (preferably mesquite), soaked for 1 hour in water to cover, then drained

1 If using poblano peppers, cut them in half lengthwise, and scrape out the seeds. If using bell peppers, cut off the tops about 1/2 inch below the stems. Scrape out the veins and seeds, taking care not to puncture the bottoms.
    2 Drain the beans, place them in a colander, rinse under cold running water, then drain again.
    3 Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, jalapeños, red bell pepper, cilantro, pumpkin seeds, if using, and cumin and cook until golden brown, about 4 minutes. Stir in the beans, hot sauce, and 2 cups of the cheese. Taste for seasoning, adding salt, pepper, and/or more hot sauce as necessary. Spoon the bean mixture into the hollowed-out peppers. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top, dividing it evenly among the peppers. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil over the cheese.
    4 Set up the grill for indirect grilling and preheat to medium. If using a gas grill, place all of the wood chips or chunks in the smoker box or in a smoker pouch and preheat on high until you see smoke, then reduce heat to medium. If using a charcoal grill, preheat it to medium, then toss all of the wood chips or chunks on the coals.
    5 When ready to cook, place the peppers in the center of the hot grate, away from the heat. Cover the grill and cook the peppers until they are tender and the cheese is browned and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Use a spatula to transfer the peppers to a platter or plates and serve at once.

Servings: 6

Recipe Source
    Author: Steven Raichlen[p]Source: fishlessman[p]NOTE: Hulled pumpkin seeds (pepitas) are available at natural food stores and Hispanic markets.

DSCN0231.jpg[p]
    they are great!!![p]what you can do is prepare them ahead of time lite your egg set the dampers so your egg will be at 350 when you get back from your program.. then...... you can leave it.. make sure you close up the dampers or you will come back to a empty egg with a fried gasket......[p]when you come home put the poblanos on the egg with a few [p]of these posted by pharmeggist[p]How about Bacon and Cheddar Knockwursts?
    4 knockwursts
    4 ounces cheddar cheese, cut into strips
    8 slices center-cut baccon (solid wooden toothpicks soaked in water for 30 minutes)
    4 poppy seed buns
    Directions:
    Preheat egg to 350 degrees
    Use a sharp knife and cut 1/2 inch slit down the middle of sausage leaving about a half inch margin on each end so it will stay together
    Stuff slit with cheese... wrap with bacon. Secure bacon with toothpicks
    Place wraparounds on the cooking grate, cheese side up. Cook over indirect heat cheese side up for 20-25 minutes until bacon is crips and chees is melted
    Serve on buns
    (Makes 4 servings)
    recipe is Elizabeth Karmel's
    ~Pharmeggist
    DSCN0315.jpg[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Jacki,
    appetizers before and light dinner after??
    shrimp, grilled asparagus, scallops before church. salmon steaks or salmon filet, grilled romaine,long grain and wild rice.
    i might try to sneak in some mushroom caps stuffed with cheese or crab meat or sausage somewhere, or a baked brie?
    merry christmas eve

• BENTE,
    Yup the Raichlen recipe's the one I use too. You can vary it up a little bit by adding some chopped brisket and or pulled pork to the filling as well. Good stuff and sure to impress the guests. I haven't seen that knockwurst recipe but it looks awesome. Have to try it.

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    ATX,
    it was great i love sausage all kinds
    from fatties
    101_0365.jpg[p]to rolled fatties[p]101_0422.jpg[p]to brats[p]DSCN0016.jpg[p]but the knockworst is really good when i made them i remember thinking that i needed to do twice as many!!LOL[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Jacki,[p]This is from today's NYT. Mark Bittman on simple yet tasty appetizers, most of which (all of which?) can be eaten with one's fingers.[p]Ho, ho, ho,
    Cornfed

[ul][li]101 Simple Appetizers in 20 Minutes or Less[/ul]
  • BENTE,
    Oh man, a Yuengling Lager. Good stuff. Haven't had one in years. Used to live in Philly but they don't sell them down TX way. Oh well, have to resort to a Shiner Bock or hell maybe even a Lone Star or a Pearl. Haha.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Yo cornbuddy!
    Nice. Some really good ideas there. Had to print that one out. If nothing else, you can learn a lot about flavor combinations just by reading through it! And even if you don't cook as specified, you'd have to be braid dead not to get some idears. I noticed #40 is flash cooked squid! Yowza.
    Ho ho ho bacatchya corndude. Howdy to the boys.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Glad you liked it! I like Bittman. He writes a weekly column called "The Minimalist" where he gives you simple recipes and techniques to make some tasty food. I also got his book, How To Cook Everything last year as a gift. It's somewhat basic, but it's nice to have a pretty comprehensive cookbook handy, and I like his style. Then again, I also have the Cook's Illustrated New Best Recipe book, which is also pretty freaking comprehensive. So I should say it's nice to have 2 such books handy :)[p]Later,
    Cornfed