Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crown Roast - to stuff or not to stuff.

Options
Rollocks
Rollocks Posts: 570
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've decided to egg a crown roast (pork) for Christmas. The dilemma I have is should I stuff the roast or not. And if I do, should I cook it for a while and then add the stuffing after it has cooked for a while?[p]Any thoughts, suggestions, links to recipes appreciated.[p]Thanks.

Comments

• Rollocks,[p]EGGcellent choice Ours was fantastic last year. Will do again the same way.[p]Pork, Roast, Crown, Richard

It is all YB's fault for teasing us with Eggtoberfest '04 & '05 and then giving us a taste at Eggtoberfest '06. Thank you again! Richard

[p]1 15 Lbs. Pork, Roast, Crown, 24 Bones
    *****Stuffing*****
    3 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mixture
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    6-8 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with cheap yellow mustard, Spice Island Lemon Garlic and Indian River Pepper Blend. Rested for about an hour.
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 250°F placed the roast on the grid without the stuffing in the middle.
    4 Had 3-4 pieces of apple and a handful of pecan chips for smoke. Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones.
    5 About 2 hours into the cook, stuffed the cooked rice mixture into the cavity, took about 3/4's of the batch. Saved the rest for later. Closed the BGE and went another 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 147°F.
    6 Pulled, let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, my first roast project, had so much going on that the roast was ready 3 hours before the guests were hungry.
    7 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    8 Placed little gold paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    9 None of this would have been possible without the kind help from Mr Crown Roast, Larry Ward, AKA "YB". Thanks Larry!!!
    SIDES SERVED:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 12/25/06[p]01/02/07--RPH-Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 1/3-1 1/4 bones per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

[p]

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Richard Fl,[p]That looks like a great recipe. One thing I forgot to ask is, what are the white paper things on the bones called, and where do you buy them.[p]Rollocks

• Rollocks,[p]I call them frills and found some in a party supply store. Couple of kitchen supply stores did not carry them, but I live in a small town and not much happens around here except sometimes they launch a space shuttle in the area.

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Rollocks,
    you could always make your own. Get a piece of paper, fold it lenghtwise, make cuts starting in middle(where paper fold is)toward the outside. Dont cut all the way through. Continue until you have several cuts. fold paper inside out and adjust. attach to the frenched bones. Bon apetite'.

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    Rollocks,
    Try different stuffings/fillings. We ran the full range. We settled on hot, Italian sausage as it adds a zing to the pork.[p]The crown pork roast ranks at the top of our menu of annual foods. It is simple to serve in that you slice a pork chop for each. The typical crown is 20 to 24 ribs.[p]I cook it @ 225 to 250. On all my products it takes 4 to 6 hours to go from frig temp of 40 to the desired "done" temp.[p]I spritz once an hour with one bottle of apple juice & another of olive oil.[p]

• penfresh
    penfresh Posts: 103
    Options
    Rollocks,[p]our wonderful Publix actually includes them with the roast. Ask your butcher...he or she may actually have them.