Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sprial Cut Ham

Options
Bob In Texas
Bob In Texas Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to do the spiral cut for Christmas. Now, I know it's easy to dry it out, but other that being careful not too, what is the best preparation, and the best way to heat it up on the egg. I understand that 140° internal should be obtained. Can it be injected (carefully), or will there be a bad leakage problem? Is there a good type rub that will help? Maybe it's just best to give it some smoke and go with that?
Thanks

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    Egret had an injection method and Wess B has one on his site.[p]Mike

• Bob In Texas,
    you're probably tired of hearing this, but in my opinion, heating a $6/lb spiral cut ham from one of the specialty ham stores makes it taste like a $2/lb generic ham from the supermarket. if it's smoke flavor that you want, i would keep the pit temp down as far as you can (200 or so), put in a couple large handsful of chips to get lots of smoke fast, then put it on for just a few minutes to absorb the smoke flavor.[p]ken[p]

• Bob In Texas,[p]This one is also popular.[p]Pork, Ham, W/Praline Topping

[p]INGREDIENTS:
    Smoked Ham - Spiral Cut
    1/4 cup Butter
    1 cup Brown Sugar - firmly packed
    1 Cup Karo Syrup
    Topping
    1/3 cup Whipped cream
    1 tsp Vanilla
    1 cup Powdered sugar
    3/4 cup Chopped Pecans - toasted

Procedure:
    1 Inject ham with brown sugar flavored karo syrup - heat syrup to make it easy to work with.
    2 Bake the pre-cooked ham until heated through - bake at 300, this will keep ham moist.
    Praline sauce/topping:
    1 Bring butter, sugar, and whipping cream to a boil in a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. whisk in vanilla and powdered sugar until smooth, add toasted pecans at end of cook - pour praline sauce slowly over ham - using a fork open up slices to get a bit of the sauce into the ham - be careful, ham and praline mix is very hot

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Author: Rodney Deal[p]Source: BGE Forum, Mr. Toad, 11/22/07

[p]

• Bob In Texas
    Options
    Ken Baker, if your speaking of a Honey Baked, I don't buy those any more.
    Mine will be a pre-cooked from either Kroger or Sam's. Which ever looks the best. I'm a poor boy, can't afford the $6.00 pound stuff.

• Bob In Texas,
    I did a 10 lb ham a couple days ago using a variation of Egret's Maple Bourbon recipe. If you look through past Ham posts you should be able to find his recipe. I bought a pre-cooked bone-in ham and injected it with 1/2-1 cup of maple syrup the night before the cook. Some syrup comes out but most of it stays in there. Cooked it for about 4 hours at 250 with some apple and cherry wood chunks. I then put a glaze on and turned the heat up to 350 for about 30 minutes untilt the temp got to 140. It was my first attempt at a ham and it turned out great. However I'm not sure if this would work on a spiral ham as it may dry out.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    Bob In Texas,
    ive had my best luck with the ham sitting on its side (slices verticle) in a pan with juice/gingerale/sugar and rotating and basting during the cook. basting down in between the slices. you dont need to bring it up to 140, its already cooked. why not get a small practice one.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it