Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket with grill extender

Options
Jim R.
Jim R. Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
fdf89336.jpg
<p /> All the posts have me wondering about temp for this brisket on grill extender with liquid in the drip pan(Amber something or other).My thoughts have been that in the few months but many cooks it seems dome temps have worked well for me.Will it be better for the cook to use grill temps?Has dome temps been the norm all these years?

Comments

• Stogie
    Stogie Posts: 279
    Options
    Jim R,[p]If it works for you, that's great, don't change!! Always remember...Qing is an art and therefore there is no "right way" of doing anything.[p]Now, if you were having problems, then I would question the accuracy of dome temp readings. There are many variables each time you cook and those variables will affect the temps inside the cooker......therefore, the differences in the dome temp and the actual grill temp may vary every cook.[p]I will make one suggestion....save the beer for drinking. Several of us at the Virtual Weber board have done extensive testing on various liquids in the drip pan.....it imparts no detectable flavor whatsoever. So, save your money and buy more meat! [p]bbqflames.gif
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    Stogie,
    I agree 100%, I have used everything from whiskey (cheap kind) to apple cider and many in between and have not noticed a difference.
    Maybe it was because I used the 1-2 method...1 sip for the pan, 2 sips for Marv until the bottle was gone. I don't know, just a thought.[p]Marv [p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Jim R,[p]We agreed a long time ago that referencing dome temperature for the cook/recipe would be a good way to provide a common denominator and it has worked well. Differing indirect setups, weather, cooking temperature, and even the vent settings do affect the temperature at the grill level (along with where the grill level is - the extender).[p]Stick with what you know to work and expand on it by monitoring grill level temperatures.[p]Nice pic![p]Spin

• Jim R.
    Options
    Spin,
    Can't figure the illusion,the brisket isn't that heavy.Did try something different on the rub,added dried Shallots instead of Onion Powder and the finger lick was good.

• Jim R,
    Where do I get one of those grill extenders?

• Jim R.
    Options
    Bill M,
    My local dealer doesn't carry much in the way of BGE parts so my order was placed directly to BGE in Atlanta.Found those folks good to deal with and have ordered a few things with quick response.