Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What meat to use for taco's ?

Dec
Dec Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi folks,[p]Does anyone know what cut of meat is used for authentic/ traditional taco's and burritos?[p]Dec

Comments

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Dec,
    Flank steak is usually used but I have used BBQ'd shredded brisket with awesome results and flavor.[p]Marv

• Dec,
    Not sure what you mean by "authentic/traditional".
    I use ground sirloin for mine.
    Is there something i'm missing here??[p]GaryJ

• Dec
    GaryJ,[p]I am thinking of two corn tortillas, beef, onion, and cilantro. I have enjoyed them at hole in the wall Mexican restaurants for years. [p]Dec

• Gloria
    Gloria Posts: 161
    Dec, Being new to the Egg, have not cooked meat for Mexican cuisine on it but have cooked it many times on top of the old stove. I like to use a pork shoulder with cumin, garlic, onions, and a can of beer, and water, to simmer until done. Let it cool until you can handle it and then pull it apart. If you do this early in the day, you can re-heat in just a bit of oil in a skillet adding just a bit more cumin. Oh, I forgot, of course you would use salt and pepper. You can do this with a beef roast too. So, I would think that you could marinate the pork or beef, preferably overnight, and cook it on a rack in the BGE until it reaches the correct internal temperature. Flank steak is great for fajitas but I find that a good, old greasy meat does best. And you can also use chicken with the same seasonings. We have a friend who is from Mexico and he has taught me a great deal about cooking meat to Mexican taste. When we eat a REAL Mexican place that we know about, there is never any lettuce or tomato on the tacos...just the shredded meat, maybe a bit of chopped onion, and HOT sauce from Mexico. Good luck.

• Dec,
    Sounds like good eating to me.
    I'll have an ICE cold beer with my shredded meat taco.[p]GaryJ

• Dec,[p]I'm not an expert (nor do I play one on TV) but I'd think that any type of meat is "authentic" since you "danced with the one that brought you." In other words, if it was cooked, still edible and it was lunch/dinner time you ate what you had. Pulled pork makes excellant tacos (fact that's what's for supper tonight) and does brisket. I'm looking forward to trying some smoked chicken tacos sometime in the near future.[p]Regards![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    06_22_0017_57_01_small.jpg
    <p />Kelly Keefe, another great way to have pulled pork Mexican style. :~}

[ul][li]Enchiladas [/ul]
  • Gfw,
    Had some of those for lunch today and the day beore that. You're right, they're terrific![p]Kelly Keefe
    Jefferson City, MO

• BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Here's a couple of ways I like to do them:[p]1) Get some thin pork chops. Pound each side a couple of times and marinate them 30 minutes - 1 hour in fresh lime juice and any spices you like. Sear each side for a minute or two Take them out, cut them into strips, and serve with flour tortillas, peppers, onions, salsa, etc.[p]2) Take leftover steak (or chicken, or porke, etc.) and cut into bite size pieces. Sautee some peppers and onions for a few minutes. Turn the heat off, and add the meat. Stir for about a minute to heat up the meat. Squeeze some fresh lime into the pan and stir a little more. Serve with tortillas, salsa, etc. This is my favorite way of eating leftover meat. Works great with steak and pork chops.
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    Dec,
    My favorite taco filling is Chorizo. I just remove the casing and fry it like ground beef with nothing else added. In fact, it has replaced ground beef as our taco filling of choice.[p]May favorite method of eat a taco is the Chorizo, chopped onion, fresh cilantro, fresh minced jalapeno and a squeeze of fresh lime on a crispy shell.[p]Yum,
    RhumAndJerk[p]

• RhumAndJerk,[p]Isn't it awful oily that way ... or do you blot it on paper towels. All the chorizo I get is just so oily .[p]Happy Egging... BB
  • RhumAndJerk
    RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
    BB,
    I guess that I am fortunate that I am getting top quality Chorizo, because I do not have an issue with grease. I have been enjoying Huevos y Chorizo for breakfast the past couple of weekends. All that I have been doing is browning the sausage in a cast iron frying pan and scrambling two eggs into the sausage.[p]If the sausage is too greasy, then by all means blot on a paper towel.[p]It must be dinnertime because I am starting to drool.
    R&J[p]

• Dec
    RhumAndJerk,[p]A crispy corn tortilla smothered with refried beans topped with chorizo is one to try as well. [p]Dec