Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crown Roast

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey...I don't mean to wear y'all out this evening with questions, but this is something I've been meaning to ask and if I don't do it now, I'll forget again. So, in-laws coming to town for the holidays and my wife wants to cook a crown roast for them. Anyone have suggestions for recipes or instructions for cooking it on the Egg?
THANKS!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    A Crown roast is made out of a bone in pork loin.My meat cutter at Publix takes a 8 or 9 pound loin,cuts one inch slits in between each bone and then rolls it in a circle and ties it with butchers twine.I stuff it and paint it with yellow mustard and sprinkle the roast with salt and pepper.[p]
    Stuffing
    1 lb sausage with sage 1/2 apple, peeled & chopped
    1/2 Vidalia onion, chopped
    1/4 small container mushrooms, chopped
    1/4 tsp Tarragon
    1/4 tsp Sage
    2 Tbsp olive oil[p]Saute above ingredients until sausage is brown & onions are transparent and stuff crown roast.[p]Cooking[p]I place the roast on a rack over a drip pan and cook at 350 degrees until internal temp reaches 150 degrees.Make sure the thermometer is in the thickest part of the meat. I take it off cover in foil let it rest for 15 minutes and cut and serve.Hope this helps.
    Larry[p]8515.jpg

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Options
    YB,
    I discovered it in a book Time Life published many years ago with the great meals of the world.[p]We smoke one each year since then. It typically has 20 or more ribs. We tried many fillers. Our immediate family settled on Italian Hot Sausage. It gives the pork a sharp flavor. It is the favorite meal of our family.[p]I wrap it in Film 905, a commercial grade of cling wrap, & place it in a styrofoam container to rest.[p]It comes around on our annual meal menu in the spring.[p]

• Nessmuk
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    Reference page 11 of the book "Great Dinners from Live, published 1969, for the complete meal.[p]Out of print book dealers will find a copy.[p]

• Dawgtired
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    Would you be so kind as to e mail or post the recipe? I checked out the book on Amazon and I may order it but right now I have some time constraints.
    Thanks!!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• Nessmuk
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    I will scan it & email it to you first thing tomorrow.[p]

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Dawgtired,
    thread from last month don't know if there is anything helpful in it.
    bill

[ul][li]http://www.eggheadforum.com/wwwboard/messages/447417.shtml[/ul]
  • Dawgtired,[p]I blame YB for this wonderful meal![p]Pork, Roast, Crown, Richard

It is all YB's fault for teasing us with Eggtoberfest '04 & '05 and then giving us a taste at Eggtoberfest '06. Thank you again! Richard

[p]1 15 Lbs. Pork, Roast, Crown, 24 Bones
    *****Stuffing*****
    3 Pkgs Uncle Ben's Wild Rice Mixture
    2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Chopped, Coarsley
    6-8 Scallions, Chopped and Sauteed
    Dash Salt/Pepper & Cavender's Seasoning

1 Rack ready to roast!
    2 Roast was slathered with cheap yellow mustard, Spice Island Lemon Garlic and Indian River Pepper Blend. Rested for about an hour.
    3 Large BGE was set up indirect, drip pan w/water 3/4 way up. At 250°F placed the roast on the grid without the stuffing in the middle.
    4 Had 3-4 pieces of apple and a handful of pecan chips for smoke. Brought the BGE to 325°F-350°F, Placed aluminum foil around tips of bones.
    5 About 2 hours into the cook, stuffed the cooked rice mixture into the cavity, took about 3/4's of the batch. Saved the rest for later. Closed the BGE and went another 45 minutes until the internal temperature was 147°F.
    6 Pulled, let rest normally 30-45 minutes, but this time, my first roast project, had so much going on that the roast was ready 3 hours before the guests were hungry.
    7 SO, covered with aluminum foil and let sit on table in kitchen for the duration, never reheated in oven, just served with hot mushroom gravy. Worked out fine.
    8 Placed little gold paper frills on the bones. Sliced 1 bone/chop per person was plenty.
    9 None of this would have been possible without the kind help from Mr Crown Roast, Larry Ward, AKA "YB". Thanks Larry!!!
    SIDES SERVED:
    1 Apple Sauce, Pork Gravy, Asparagus Grilled, Portobello Mushrooms & Sweet Onion, cut in fork size pieces, placed in aluminum foil with little butter chicken boullion, s/p and teaspoon water wrapped tightly and placed on egg 30-45 minutes while roast is cooking. Dessert of choice, ours was three layer white cake with coconut frosting.

Recipe Type
    Main Dish, Meat

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard, 12/25/06[p]01/02/07--RPH-Fed 12 adults Christmas day and 6 more 3 days later. Gave some away. In the future will figure 1 1/3-1 1/4 bones per person, depending on crowd and are they big eaters.

[p]

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Nessmuk,
    That sounds good...I will try the Italian Hot Sausage next time.
    Larry

• Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    1b6414ce-242c-4633-a55d-2c94b8de8672
    <p />Dawgtired,[p]
    If you find yourself on a low budget, you can always try the Crown Roast of Frankfurters.[p]

[ul][li]Crown Roast of Frankfurters[/ul]