Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
Peggy
Peggy Posts: 122
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi fellow Eggers, I have seen some cooking techniques for Beef Tenderloin on the forum in the past, but now I cannot find the post. The one I am looking for had pictures, timing etc. Can someone send to me? Was also thinking about purchasing one of those "whole" beef tenderloins at Costco for $90 bucks. Have any of you ever cooked it? I recognize it will need trimming to actually expose the tenderloin itself. Would love to hear from you if you have some advice. Thanks so much! Peggy in Arizona.

Comments

• BigT
    BigT Posts: 385
    Options
    Peggy,[p]I posted about tenderloin yesterday.[p]Max Max has a stuffed tenderloin recipe somewhere, and there are two stuffed tenderloin recipes in the New Recipes page of this board.[p]hth[p]Big T[p]
    [ul][li]Tenderloin[/ul]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Peggy,[p]Here's a recipe I use. It comes from a Junior League cookbook of Durham NC published maybe 15-20 years ago and is intended for a regular oven. I've round it translates very easily to the Egg except that I prefer to use a thermometer to check the internal temp because larger tenderloins may not cook as evenly as the recipe suggests. I'd add that Costco roasts also require a lot of trimming - last year I bailed on the untrimmed ones and bought one of the pre-trimmed ones from Costco - a lot less work at a somewhat higher price.[p]
    =====
    2-3 Tablesppons cracked black pepper
    2-3 Tablespoons garlic salt
    1/2 cup Worchestershire sauce
    twine
    foil[p]1. preheat oven to 350
    2. trim fat
    3. tie small end so roast will cook evenly
    4. mix cracked pepper and garlic salt together
    5. Make a boat from 2-3 layers of aluminum foil to fit roast
    6. pour Worcestershire sauce over beef and roll in garlic/pepper mixture. Place in foil boat.
    7. Bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Let rest 10 minutes
    8. serve with any sauce - mushroom, bearnaise, etc.
    9. beef will be medium rare regardless of size.[p]Notes:[p]a. I prefer reducing the garlic salt because of my own preferences.
    b. On the Egg, cook indirect (e.g., with a platesetter, legs up) and consider raising the boat with some kind of low rack to avoid having the bottom scorch.