Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

fat drippings causing smoke

Options
Bordello
Bordello Posts: 5,926
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked some turkey breakfast sausage this morning on miss mini, did them direct but because of the fat dripping there was to much smoke coming out of top, do others use a small drip pan??? If so, are you raising the grate with spacers of some kind to allow more room for the pan????? Thanks, my neighbors do not appreciate thinking my house was on fire. Ü
New Bob
The sausage came out great, will do some more in the morning.

Comments

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Options
    New Bob, I bought an extra grill and sometimes just place a shallow aluminum pie plate in between the grills. Seems to work fine. Also, I have placed a half-thickness firebrick on the grill, then a pie plate, then the second grill. It brings it up high within the mini but if you're cooking sausage, it should be ok. (I'll have to get Earl to get me some of those real thin firebricks he found up in Canada.)

• Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    New Bob,[p]When you get to cooking outside as much as I do, your neighbors will soon know when "New Bob is cooking again" and come out to ENJOY the aroma.
    Before the purchase of my BGE when I was cooking on the 'Twins' with 100% wood logs, not chunks, you might think 2 houses were on fire. But everyone knew, "Marv's smoking again" and used any excuse they could to walk up the street so I would see them. They all knew that when I cooked, I cooked extra to share and they wanted it to be them that I shared with.
    Now that I have my BGE, I don't cook quite as much and I am sure they ALL hate my BGE.[p]Marv
    www.marvsbbq.com

• Bordello
    Options
    Wise One,
    Thanks for the help,
    Is your second grill porcelain or just plain plated metal???? If porcelain, where did you get it????
    New Bob

• Bordello
    Options
    Marv,
    I understand, if I was in your neighborhood I would drop in also. It's just that we are not supposed to burn wood here so people get upset at too much smoke from anything. I do my best to keep a low profile.
    How's the new egg doing???
    New Bob

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Wise One,
    I bought some real thin hot bricks at Sears ..Bill six bricks came in a pan and was made by GrillMaster...I think they would be hard to ship and not break...The next time you come to visit your brother in law or he comes to see you let me know and I will meet you and give you a couple.
    Larry

• Wise One
    Options
    New Bob, it is exactly like the original. I picked one up at the BGE store here in Atlanta. If I remember correctly, the price was around $10. It's been a good investment.

• Bordello
    Options
    Wise One,
    May I ask how far are you from the BGE store???
    Thanks,
    New Bob

• Wise One
    Options
    New Bob, about three miles. I had been driving past it for twenty years before I finally stopped in.

• egghead
    egghead Posts: 31
    Options
    Wise One,
    Hello, for all you eggers that live in Atlanta. There is an old hardware store in Norcross, GA called Greer hardware. They have thin firebricks there. About 2.50 each.