Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK I want to try latkes

Options
wobin
wobin Posts: 211
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How fine do you grate the potatoes and onion? Is it like hash browns or finer. Anyone have a picture?[p]Thanks, Glenn

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    wobin,
    I havn't made them for a long time (see type 2 diabetes below) but a medium grater is about right, hash brown size is good.[p]I'm sure Max can tell you all you want to know about Latkes.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    wobin,
    latkes are a personal thing, some like em with a rough grate, some like almost like a spoon batter. .. .here's how i do em. .. [p]for a good size batch[p]4 large baking taters (i DON"T peel them)
    2 onions
    3 eggs
    about 1/4 cup of flour or baking powder
    salt and pepper[p]grate the taters and onions together (i use my kitchen aid fine grater wheel, its a fairly large grate about like you would find in hash browns) .. .[p]in a large bowl add the taters/onions/eggs/flour, and some salt and pepper to taste. .[p]in a large pan, heat up veggie oil about 1/8 inch deep, good and hot. . .i use a large soup spoon to spoon the batter into the oil. . .after about 1 - 2 minutes, flip ...they should be golden brown on both sides . .. lay the finished latkes on a pan with paper towells in a 250 degree oven to stay hot. .. .serve em with apple sauce and sour cream .. .YUMMY ..[p]as far as the egg ...i have done these on the egg before. . .. i use a fish grid set direct on the regular grid at around 425 dome temp. .. oil the grid good and spoon the batter onto the grid. . ..turn em after a minute or two, again, when they are a nice golden brown. .. . they taste very good, but as a good self respecting jew, latkes are supposed to be, by design, fairly greasy! . .. so INDULGE ...[p]

• mad max beyond eggdome,did you say
    "about 1/4 cup of flour or baking powder"
    HUH?? last I knew these were not interchangeable?? Julie

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Juliem4444,
    maybe not in things like cake mixes, but as a little binder for latkes, it doesn't matter much. . .i use whatever i have. ...

• mad max beyond eggdome,Hhhhmmmmmm I'm going to have to try that. I can not get past the taste. Banana bread is one that it can mess up fast if there is a little to much in it. YUK. I will have to test it out. Thamks, Julie