Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does anyone have thoughts on prime rib in the egg. Any info. would be great. Thanks and Merry Christmas, Brett

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Brett in Phoenix,
    See if this helps, it was down a bit on this page.

[ul][li]Prime rib posts[/ul]
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Brett in Phoenix,[p]With almost any dish, the easiest thing to do is figure out how you'd do it in your oven and do it the same way in the Egg. Just pay attention to the temps and it'll come out the best you ever had. My Egged prime ribs are invariably much more evenly cooked than anything we ever did indoors.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Brett in Phoenix,[p]It is my favorite cook.[p]Do this:[p]Prep2Small.jpg[p]Fire1Small.jpg[p]RoastingSmall.jpg[p]Done2small.jpg[p]Carved1small.jpg
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Fidel,[p]That is a very nice looking roast. I've done two on the LBGE so far since both you and Car Wash Mike encouraged me to do so, instead of cutting them into some nice steaks.[p]Next time, I will try to sear up front, as you have illustrated. I've been doing a reverse sear, and the fat up on top, opposite the ribs, ends up shrinking and looks like a bad toupe on the meat...especially when there are little rosemary leaves sticking out.[p]How long is your beginning sear? Is it similar to a TRex sear? What temps are you cooking with if it isn't?[p]Sorry for asking so many questions. I want to try and do another one while the rib roast prices are low like they are now, just before Christmas.[p]Once again, thank you for all the good info you provide--I appreciate the tips and the feedback.[p]-Mike[p]
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Brett in Phoenix,
    here's a link to how i do em. .. .

[ul][li]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm[/ul]
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Beanie-Bean,[p]I'm not the expert, but I've had good results. I learned from Mad Max and really didn't vary much from his instructions.[p]I sear them at 600 or so for about 2 minutes per side - all 4 sides. I do this on the cast iron grid for the good sear marks. I'm silly like that.[p]I then let it rest for 15-20 minutes while the temp comes down to 325, insert the plate setter, add some mesquite or hickory chunks, then put the roast back on until it hits the desired temp of 125-128 internal.[p]Then let it rest for 20 minutes under foil before removing the bones and carving. I save the bones for another special treat. Another hour or so on the egg makes them dessert.