Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with top round roasts.

Options
EmandM'sDad
EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My brother inlaw just dropped by with two 4.5 lb top round roasts that I'm cooking for a party tonite. I'm going to rub with EvOO, salt pepper and garlic. Does anyone have any suggestions about time and temps. I was thinking 325-350... and pull it at an internal of about 130F. does that sound about right?[p]Thanks for the help,
mike

Comments

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Emand Ms'Dad,[p]Sounds perfect. I use a TON of pepper on these (coarse ground stuff) mixed with some other seasoning...like a dizzy pig bbq. They can handle a lot of rub. These will cook much faster than you dreamed. Dunno why. So keep an eye on the temps because once it gets much over 130, you end up with hockey puck. Get out the electric slicer for leftovers and do em fairly thin and you'll never buy deli roast beef again.[p]mShark
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    mollyshark,
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking. We'll slice for sandwiches for the party, so i"ll have alittle latitude on doneness.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Emand Ms'Dad,
    I think you and the mollyshark are right on track. [p]To throw a new idea in....If I had those puppies, I'd probably want to cook some pit beef (it was sooooo big of a hit last time I did it). I like reverse searing it. Like mollyshark sez heavy on the pepper or go with a real peppery rub. Hard to over salt those roasts too. 300 indirect (or even a bit less) until your internal is 125. Remove and rest while you get your egg to turbo temps. Sear hard on all sides, rest again. Then slice as thin as you can against the grain....a slicer is really helpful here. Pour the juice back over the pile of meat, salt if needed, then serve on kaiser rolls with some good horseradish.[p]WessB has a nice tutorial on his website.[p]Whatever you do, have fun!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Yup, just like down in OC

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    Emand Ms'Dad,
    i agree with the salt / pepper and either cooking technique, but i set my maverick for 110 check with thermo pen and pull off at 115. i find once they get near temp the rise in temp seems to accelerate. i wrap with foil while it rests and find there is a lot of heat in them and temp goes up a lot while resting. i like no more than medium rare. i bought a slicer for $100 from amazon. best lunch meat ever. {and i have horesradish in the garden] wow. happy saturday.

• Emand Ms'Dad,[p]Another method for the round roasts that I use most often is to herb them up with fresh herbs and tons of garlic. [p]72MVC-003E.jpg[p]I kinda make a paste out of some fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, oregano, and maybe some thyme all chopped up and to this I add salt, fresh cracked (not ground) black pepper, sea salt and about 15-20 cloves of garlic which I run thru my Suzy. I then add enough olive oil to make a paste. After I trim the roast, I just pack on all the herbs and put the roast in the fridge overnight. [p]72MVC-004E.jpg[p]Just before it went into the fridge. [p]72MVC-011E.jpg[p]I usually smoke the roast at about 325 degrees until I get an internal of around 120 and then cover with foil and rest for about an hour before I cut it up. [p]72MVC-013E.jpg[p]I finish the roast by slicing very thin for pit beef or regular roast beef sandwiches. [p]I just did one of these roasts for Thanksgiving and it sure turned out great! [p]Dave

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    Old Dave,
    Man that looks mighty fine. Gotta get a bigger kitchen so I have room for stuff. I really need to get one of those meat slicers. Trying to shave beef like that would leave my fingers tipless and me in the ER yet AGAIN! lol[p]H

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Emand Ms'Dad,
    cmon man, you live in maryland ... pit beef is the only way to go! ....load it up good with salt/pepper. . . i LOVE dizzy red eye express and lots of it on this one . ..[p]then simply roast it at 375 degrees idirect till you hit the desired internal temp (won't take long at all, maybe 1 1/2 - 2 hours. . .[p]key then is to really thin slice it ("shave" it if you can). .use an electric slicer if you have one ... .serve it on kaiser rolls with raw onions and horseradish and/or bbq sauce ... . [p]think "bull on the beach" only lots better ... .