Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib Roast

Options
Ribs N Whiskey
Ribs N Whiskey Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about doing my first Rib Roast on my large BGE. I plan on following WessB's cook on his website. Any other tips? Bone-in or boneless? If bone-in any tricks to serving? How large should it be (we are having 3-5 people over)? [p]Thanks in advance, as usual this place is a great source of info.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Ribs N Whiskey,
    I just cooked a 3 bone recently and did the reverse sear...250°ish raised grid until 125° internal, then crank it up for the finishing sear... all done direct on a small egg ..It came out great..would think a 3 rib roast would be plenty for your guests..unless they are football players...[p]Wess

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Ribs N Whiskey,[p]I prefer bone in. Remove the bones before slicing to serve and save them to smoke a bit more the next day for a special treat.[p]A 3 bone roast should come in around 5-6 pounds. That should easily serve 5 adults.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Depends on which of your rowdy friends is coming over tonight...lol...If I'm coming over you'd better have a 5-7 rib roast...cause at 6'7 and 300lbs. I'm packing appetite...Cook to your consumers....[p]You'll love a Rib Roast on the BGE...nothing like it...You can high end beef anyplace and they just don't taste like the flavor that you'll get from the BGE...Don't know why that is...Don't spend much time figurin' it out...Just is...[p]Enjoy...[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Ribs N Whiskey
    Options
    [p]I purchased the roast today, just under 6 lbs with the bone cut off and tied back on with twine. My butcher suggested this to make it easier to remove the bones after cooking (good idea?). Since I have twine on the roast I was thinking of the reverse sear.
    So here is my plan:
    Cook indirect at 275 until an internal temp of 125 (cook time 2-2.5 hrs)
    Remove indirect setup and untie the bone from the roast
    Raise the temp to 500-600 and sear 5 minutes on each side[p]Any suggestions??