Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to do beef Stew

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a new dutch oven want to make beef stew saturday ,we are going to have a snow storm I think it would be fun ,have a arm or rump roast to use ,I love my BGE ,Thanks in advance
Dave

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    David K,
    here's an easy one. .. .heat up the dutch oven direct (you can do this part on the stove if you want). . ..take some flour and add some dizzy cowlick to it (couple of teaspoons worth). .. add some olive oil to your dutch oven.. .. then dredge the cubed meat in the flour/rub mixture. .. toss in the dutch oven and brown the meat (should only take a few minutes, turning the meat a few times to brown on all sides). . .remove the dutch oven from the direct heat, and now set up your egg at around 350 degrees indirect.. . .add cubed taters, carrots, celery, peas, whatever you like to the meat, pour a couple of cups of burgandy wine in the pot, and then enough beef broth to cover everything. . ..now stick the pot in the egg for 4 or 5 hours or until the meat and taters are tender. .. .if you like 'gravy'. ..take about a 1/2 cup of the juices from the dutch oven, put in a bowl, stir in some flour till its nice and smooth, then add back to the dutch oven and mix it in well ... .

• billt
    billt Posts: 225
    Options
    David K,
    i take beef, ox-tails or shin meat sear at about 600 on egg put in dutch oven with olive oil set oven back in egg, i use a versa grate so it sits closer to the fire, add enough store bought stock to cover > 2 hunks hickory to the lump and close up the egg bring temp down to 325 generally this brings things to a boil. after a bit i close up a little more 225-250 add 2 smashed garlic cloves and let in simmer for hours. take in side, the meat should be falling apart, shred meat add potato, carrot celery and 1tsp ground sage i finish on stove til taters are done adjust salt and pepper. actually this i what is for dinner tonight. you can spice this up as much as you want i like beef with salt pepper and a bit of hickory so i do not add rubs.
    great meal for a cold night.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    David K,[p]Make sure your oven is seasoned first.[p]If your oven has legs do this in the egg if flat bottom you can do this in the egg or stove.[p]Put some EVOO in the bottom of the pan and lightly sear your meat or stew meat on all sides. Remove the meat and put a small amount of chicken stock (or beef stock) in the pan and add some flour. Stir and then add some pressed (or crished) and some 1T sugar. Stirr continually for 30 to 45 seconds - don't brun or over cook the garlic. Add your vegies; spuds, onion, light amount of celery, carrots (all chopped about the same size.[p]Mix the vegies well in the 'pan crusties' you will get some wonderful flavor in this step.[p]Now add back the meat and put in more chicken stock.[p]Note on stock... chicken will give a better flavor but a lighter color of the stew. Beef stock will give a dark brown look. I at times mix 1/2 and 1/2 just depends on what I have.[p]The egg at grid should be about 325 - light simmer and I cook until the meat is very soft 2 to 4 hours. Watch your liquid level as you do not want the vegies out of the liquid.[p]At the end if you stew is too dry add more stock. If to liquid then mix some broth with flour (or water) and make sure the flour is completly mixed in the liquid. Your stew is at a simmer and now add small amounts of the roux to thicken the stew.[p]The roux will thicken most when the liquid is at a boil.[p]Salt & pepper to taste about 1/2 to 1 hour before completion.[p]If you feel you need more complete instructions, email me and I will type it up again.[p]Pot roast is done much the same way. I cook the roast from 4 to 6 hours - until the meat is fork soft. At the end remove the meat and all vegies mix in a roux to make the liquid into gravey. The liquid level should be up to about 1/2 of the meat. Sear the roast on all sides for about 5 minutes per side.[p]Good eatin, Kent