Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked Cheese

Options
BENTE
BENTE Posts: 8,337
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i cannot find egret's instructions on smoking cheese in the archives. can someone help. i am planning to do a test run this evening and can't find his instructions.[p][p]thanks[p]
happy eggin
tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

Comments

• BENTE
    Options
    Richard Fl,
    thannks i am waiting on the sun to go down and will try using my guru with egret's instructions.[p][p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Ross in Ventura
    Options
    BENTE,
    Post and pictures please! I'm going to try this weekend.
    My Best,
    Ross

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    BENTE, Old Dave is the guy who knows about smokin' cheese.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • BENTE
    Options
    Ross in Ventura,
    i will i wanted to make a test run before i tried a whole bunch so i only have one block of cheese and will cut it in half and after the cheese gets offf i will load the egg up and smoke a couple of fatties for some guests that will be here around 10 p.m.[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BENTE
    Options
    tjv,
    not sure how long it has been since i seen his name on here but i may have just missed it. i have never ran my guru for a "cold" smoke oppertunity. so i am just kinda guessing on this but that is the whole idea of experimenting. at least i hope i get to say that later when my guests arrive and rave about how goood it is.[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    BENTE,
    If you're going to follow that procedure I posted, I'm not sure what the guru is going to do for you. I just leave the draft door open about half way and the daisy wheel just cracked about 1/8". No guru.....

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Thanks for the plug, Tom.......

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Ross in Ventura,
    I have about a million projects in progress for the website, and I hope to do a webpage on this next week if I get to it, and if it works, LOL![p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • BENTE
    Options
    egret,
    ok! i was thinking that it may help me keep better control of the situatuion[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tjv
    Options
    127_2774.jpg
    <p />BENTE, just a note, if you try some before pulling off the egg, remember the two end pieces will have a smokier flavor than the rest of the block. More outside surface area, as they are on the end.....Kinda gotta try more than one test piece, which ain't all bad.....LOL. T

• BENTE
    Options
    tjv,
    yea that is usually my favorite piece of fattie...... THE END!! LOL[p][p]happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• tjv
    Options
    BENTE, I'd say no to the guru, to much air and you could get a fire going. All you need is enough fire from the brickets to smolder the wood.....kinda a smolder fueling a smolder....

• tjv
    Options
    egret, no problema, señor
  • BENTE
    Options
    tjv,
    ok that's what i will do[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Car Wash Mike
    Options
    Tom, that looks direct on a raised grid with no ice. Is that correct? Must be a cheesy weekend. I plan on doing a bunch as well.[p]Mike

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    BENTE,
    Since it's a "cheesy" weekend as someone mentioned, I have a hunk-a-gouda waitin' to be smoked... So, where do I get the briquets? What if I don't have torch to light? will a minimal amount of charcoal at bottom and a "pinch" of starter work... just to get the coals going?[p]Also, can I put on some almonds at the same time or are almonds a whole other process?[p]

• BENTE
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    i ended up with my briquets because i'm stupid!! i went to HD eariler this summer and bought one of those bags of briquets for $2.99 and did not know they were briquetts until i got home.
    and i'm sorry i cannot answer any of your other questions. i smoked a block of cheese last night and my egg never got over 80 degrees.it was not very hard but i would recomend looking over This Method that the naked whiz has on his site it may help you a little more i also got a email that i will forward to you about smoking cheese.[p]
    happy eggin
    tb

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• GirlyEgg
    GirlyEgg Posts: 622
    Options
    BENTE,
    muchos gracias!

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    GirlyEgg,
    I use Wicked Good briquettes, you can light up used lump- it will start and burn better than fresh lump. If you have a chimney start the lump in it and just dump it on the empty egg grate and arrange in the center, lay in your smokin wood and your ready after the heavy smoke dies down.
    Gouda is a semi soft cheese so watch the dome temp. I use a tray of ice under the grid that has the cheese so the cheese will not warm up.
    I smoke/roast nuts at 300-325 dome indirect, way too hot for cheese.
    Good luck!