Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Yakitori Chicken

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy!
Last night I cooked some Yakitori type kabobs with chicken thigh meat, and was very happy with the results. We cook chicken often, and I have been working on various marinades for a few years now..many of them are posted, and most of those recipes have a good number of ingredients, bordering on complex. [p]RhumAndJerk gave me this great book called "The Asian Grill" that has several good recipes. One of them uses a "Yakitori" sauce that is very simple..soy, sugar, sake, mirin. I remember eating Yakitori chicken at the Japanese restaurants, and I always loved the flavor.[p]So simplicity was first on my mind when I started throwing some things together. The link for the recipe is below. We will be cooking this again! [p]Last night I also cooked a recipe from the same book "Green Onion and Sesame Pancakes". Oooooooo boy those we good.[p]That little book has a lot of good ideas. Thanks, R&J!
Cheers!
NB

[ul][li]A new marinade to try[/ul]
DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BTW, here is a link to that cool little book.[p]And:
    http://www.sobies.com/recipes/whats_cookin_july.htm
    Has a reprint of another good recipe from that book.[p]NB

[ul][li]The Asian Grill[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Funny, I did a pork tenderloin last night that was very similar to what you did with chicken. I marinated my tenderloin in a mixture of honey, soy, worstechire, ginger, red pepper, salt and pepper and a couple of diced fresh jalepenos. I got the recipe from a cookbood that I have. I mixed up the marinade and put in the tenderloins and let it sit for 2 days. I grilled direct at about 325 for 35 or so minutes, basting with the marinade every 10 or so minutes. Served it with some rice and it was great.[p]The wife has been getting me to try some more Asian style dishes and the more I try them the more I like them. I always used to think that Asian dishes had a peanut butter taste to them. I like peanut butter just fine but its not my favorite. The wife is teaching me differently. Thanks for the book link and marinade info, I'll give it a shot.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    sprinter,
    As you probably know, I love Asian food, but even if not, there is SO much to learn from the extensive variety of ingredients that are used on that side of the world.[p]The exciting part is that I have only scratched the surface of possibilities. The potential of incorporating Asian ingredients into grilling and Q is as big as the sky.[p]Listen to that wife!
    Have a great weekend! They are calling for 5-8 inches of snow here tomorrow. Would be first of the year!![p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy,
    Also very popular in Japan is something called 'Tsukune.' Which is basically the same thing you describe in yr. yakitori discussion but prepared with ground chicken. The ground chicken, which can be mixed w/ chopped veggies, onions/shallots, etc, is rolled into little quarter size balls, skewered (two or three to stick) and grilled. The sauce is generally applied immediately after grilling. I suppose you could also apply the last ten minutes as describe in the recipe, for more flavor & coloring. Tsukune and yakitori are both a favorite in my house - the kids like the finger food.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    NYFerg,
    That sounds good. I suppose you could whack the chicken for a few pulses in the food processor and achive a similar thing?? Hmmm. Why not throw some shrimp in too![p]Do you ever use an egg or anything to help everything bind?[p]Thanks for the idears!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]We're forecasted to get about 2-4 tonight. Not sure if it will actually show up or not but it would be the second snowfall of the year for us. We're overdue for a harsh winter here. I'm heading to Las Vegas on Sunday for work anyway, hope we dont get too much to screw up flying. Should all be past by then though.[p]Have a great weekend yourself, enjoy the snow if you get it, not much chance of getting much more this year.[p]Troy