Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i'm planning to smoke a butt this afternoon and have a few basic questions...
fat side up or down in rack ?
if 7 lbs, will 16hrs at 250 dome be good ?[p]Thanks,
Mike

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    mfox,[p]Fat up or down doesn't matter. I actually cut most of the fat off to get more bark. If you are cooking direct then put them fat down.[p]I do not use a rack, I place them on the grid in an indirect setup. 250* dome, 7 pounds, 16 hours should be enough. They all cook differently. May be done sooner, may be later. I like to pull mine in the 195-197 range. Some go all the way to 205.[p]I would plan on extra time, you can always hold it in a cooler for several hours if you need to.
  • Zen Egger
    Options
    mfox,
    Fat Side Down
    Then let your internal thermometer tell you when it's done
    (195) I did a 7 1/2 -8 lb butt in about 7 hours at 250 then wrapped and placed in cooler for 2 hours.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Good advice from Fidelito! There's never a 'set time' when it comes to smoking anything as every piece of meat is different. I wouldn't bother using the rack either as that's just one more thing to clean up. Just set up for indirect smoking and throw that piece of shoulder on your BGE grid and you'll be just fine! Run your dome temps between 275 and 300 degrees and you'll be fine.[p]Ed McLean...eddiemac
    Ft. Pierce, FL