Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Stock

Options
RhumAndJerk
RhumAndJerk Posts: 1,506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Over the weekend I turned a nice 7.5 pound Boston Butt into a heap of Pulled Pork. The thing of it is that I hate to just throw that bone away, so on Monday I made some stock. It is kind of like using a ham bone. [p]First of all, when you pull the pork, use two bowls. One is for the meat and the other is for the fat and bone. One bowl goes to the table and the other goes to the refrigerator. Do not throw anything out. [p]The process is very simple. Place the fat and bone in stockpot and cover with cold water. I added a stalk of celery broken into thirds and two green onions broken into twos. A bay leaf and some black pepper round out the seasoning. I brought it to a boil and then turn it down low and loosely covered the pot. I basically let it sit on the stove for the next three hours without touching it. As it was getting close to done, I started to add kosher salt until the stock tasted good.[p]I turned the heat off and let the stock cool in the pot. Then I strained the stock and threw away the solids.
I put the cooled liquid in a gallon sized Ziploc freezer bag and froze it.[p]When I am ready for nice pot of bean soup this winter, I will have a pulled pork stock ready to go. Come to think of it, it would make a nice stock for a gumbo as well.[p]Happy Smoking,
RhumAndJerk[p]

Comments

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]Thanks for the tip. One addendum - while you are simmering the large pot of liquid on the stove, if someone asks what you are making, avoid the conventional abbreviation for pulled pork. If you tell someone you are making "pp stock," they might think you are a twisted individual playing bathroom jokes on the stove.[p]Later,
    Cornfed

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Now you're cooking![p]Thanks for the great tip.[p]Bob

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I used my turkey remains this last Thanksgiving to make turkey stock, but the result was very very smokey. I liked it somewhat, but I'll admit that in a soup it tasted strange. Many that tried it didn't like it at all.[p]Do you think you pulled pork stock has a smokey flavor to it? And does this flavor move on to the bean soup and gumbo? And do you like the result, or is an acquired taste?[p]Thanks,[p]--sdb
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've done this with some ham shanks that I've cooked with wonderful rusults as well. As sdbelt said though, turkey bones can be somewhat overpowering with the smoke if you make stock out of the carcas. The heavier ham and pork stocks are great in gumbo and ministrone and dishes that can handle the stronger smoke flavor. I've found that I need to be somewhat careful about the amount of smoked turkey stock I add to things like chicken soup etc.. I've split it 50/50 with regular stock and it adds a nice touch but alone its a bit much in my opinion.[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,[p]I've never made stock from pulled pork, but I always save the fat when I pull it. The fat gets fed to my dog and my brother's dog. When I barbecue, they're the two of the happiest dogs in the world![p]I smoked a ham in December, and I froze the bone. I'm going to have to make ham and bean soup with it some time soon.[p]

• sprinter
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I've also made great stock with turkey carcasses (carci, what is the plural for a turkey carcas anyway?) that have been deep fried as well. Deep fried turkeys are a real treat and the bones and trimmings of that make GREAT stock and no smoke flavor.[p]Troy
  • BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    sprinter, I think that you and sdbelt nailed it on the head; stock from smoked meats can be quite overpowering in other dishes, especially lighter flavoured ones. I always make a stock from leftover bones and carcasses, but I strain them then put into those 1 lb margarine tubs and freeze. One of those into a batch of clear soup is more than sufficient, but a couple containers worth can go into something as strong as a chili. Definitely err on the side of moderation, especially as you say, turkey/chicken stock made from a bbq'd bird.
    Qfan

• sprinter
    Options
    BBQfan1,[p]MAN, great tip about the butter tubs also. I throw those things away, usually about 1 a week. And those one pound sizes would be perfect for storing stock etc. Thanks for the idea, that frees up a lot of the other plastic tubs now. Seems like the one that I want to use is always in the freezer with something or other in it. Cant believe I've thrown away hundreds of those things and never thought to use them.[p]Troy
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    sprinter,[p]I've found that the carcass of a brined, smoked turkey makes a wonderful stock (and I learned how to make it on this forum). Last time I made turkey soup I found I had to add very little salt or spices, since it was already so flavorful from the brine.

• sdbelt
    sdbelt Posts: 267
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Thanks for the info. That turkey soup was the only turkey soup (or broth) I've ever made. It's too bad I didn't cut the broth 50/50 or more, because the veggies and turkey in the soup were just spectacular. [p]I'll keep working at it.[p]Thanks again,[p]--sdb
  • Peggy
    Peggy Posts: 122
    Options
    sdbelt,
    I make smoked turkey stock all the time. then, when I'm ready to make soup, I add another 50% of chicken broth. I always make one of two soups and very big batches. Tortilla soup and or Pozolle. Delicious and the smokey flavor lends itself very nicely to the Mexican influence of these two soups. Yum...I'm hungry.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Peggy,
    If you have a recipe you would not mind sharing for one of those soups, I would love to see it! Tortilla soup with a slight smoke hint sounds wonderful.[p]Thanks!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Marv
    Marv Posts: 177
    Options
    sprinter,[p]Better yet, freeze in the tubs and then vacumn pack it. Will last months with out getting freezer burn. And free up you tubs. Tubs are not safe for long time freezer use anyway.[p]www.marvsbbq.com