Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Green Eggperience

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Graduated today, 11/23/7, from the homemade 55 gallon open top container smoker to the GREEN EGG. Currently, smokin butt and drinkin beer. Added pecan chips the first 15 minutes, then hickory chips 30 minutes later. BBQ rules in North Carolina and now is the time to cook with winter on the horizon. No spices yet, the egg and chips should do just fine![p]Good to know ya, Egg Heads!

Comments

• BYC
    BYC Posts: 358
    Options
    Rickman,[p]Sorry dude--being a proud Sandlapper who was born and raised in the great BBQ state of South Carolina---I have to challenge your claim that "BBQ rules in NC." We'll see next year in the battle of the Lancasters. Which btw we will competing in..using BGE's of course!

• BYC,
    Thought that might get it goin! Heck, as far as BBQ-ers go I'm still a rookie. But I know some darn good good cookers deep in the heart of Kannapolis, redneck atire required.[p]I'm just proud to have a cooker with more history than a garbage can. The meat and wood speaks for itself.[p]Good to hear from ya.[p]

• BYC
    Options
    Rickman,[p]We have graduated dwon here from "redneck" to "country."[p]Have a good cook!!

• BYC,
    Thanks, BYC. How the heck is the charcoal gonna last long enough to cook the butt to perfection?[p]I'm keeping the egg right at 275 to 300 degrees and there ain't no way I'm gonna open the lid again til at least 6:00.[p]Will the charcoal last that long? I filled it above the air holes like the bag said and I figured the chips would add extra fuel, too.

• Rickman,
    Welcome to the club, my father in law from Salisbury NC helped me build an upright barrel cooker 25 years ago, and I still have it. He taught me how to use it too. -RP

• BYC
    Options
    rickman,[p]The charcoal will last. However, sounds like you're cooking a bit high. What time did you start the butts? If you're going for the faster cook you might wind up having to foil for a couple of hours. Have you hit the 160 9meat temp) area yet?

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    rickman,[p]You need to get in the habit of filling the charcoal up to the middle of the fire ring (the uppermost ceramic internal piece). That should give you a 25 hour burn time, if not more, at 250* dome temps.[p]Cooking butts at 275-300 is OK, but in my experience I have better results if I keep the dome temps closer to 250.[p]Keepo an eye on that fire. If you only put in enough lump to cover the holes in the firebox you might not have enough to finish your butts. Chips don't give you much in the way of added burn time.
  • BYC,
    One butt, 5 1/2 lbs. Put it in at 2:30. 6:00 is probably too soon, huh?[p]I've backed down to 250 degrees on the outside thermometer.[p]Thanks for your advice.

• BYC
    Options
    Rickman,[p]Yepper---Way too soon. If you're wanting to eat at 6 then you will def need to foil and def raise temps. I'd throw in a chunk of wood and let her smoke for another 30-45 minutes and then foil the butt and put it back on at or about 325-350. You can also finish in the oven. That is if you plan to eat sometime tonight. Still a good cook but not like low and slow. Based on a slow cook what you have is about an 11 hour cook. At the rate you're moving probably done about 10 or 11. Just my.02--go get more beer and just stay up late!!-;)

• Fidel,
    10-4 on the charcoal. Too late now I guess to add more. I have backed down on temp to 250. That should help it last.[p]I appreciate your feedback. I'm a long way from becoming an EGGspert.[p]Thanks.[p]

• BYC,
    BEAUTIFUL!! I like beer. I'll go out and cut off some more chucks of pecan and add it to the fire.[p]I'll slow down on the cookin but it'll be hard to slow down on the beer. [p]Thanks so much!!!

• BYC
    Options
    Rickman,
    Let's net this out---what time you need to be eating that pig?

• BYC,
    We've got homemade vegetable soup, thanks to my wife, to hold us over til the pig is done.[p]Time is not of the essence, good pig is, though.[p]Go Wolfpack!! Sorry about them Gamecocks.

• BYC
    Options
    Rickman,[p]Oh shoot then you're in good shape---just drink and waych LSU try to stay in this game--GO SEC! But Gamecocks---ugh ugh ugh. Not sure who breaks my heart more---Gamecocks or Redskins.