Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie...Great turnout for first timers!

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We used our egg for the first time last night an we made rib eyes. They were moist and juicy. This morning I had the bright idea of making cinnamon rolls in our large BGE when we lit it up to get it ready for the turkey, I think we put the rolls on too early because they had a bit of smoky flavor but not bad. Then about 10 minutes later we put in another batch and they were perfect. [p]Now on to the 12.5# turkey...it turned out great! I read all the tips and iced the turkey breast and I had the turkey in brine...the whole nine yards. We had a hard time maintaining the temperature. I think the lowest we got it was 350 which would have been fine but it kept climbing to 400. Overall, it was moist and juicy but the legs were a bit dry. We cooked it for 4 hours...I think 3.5 would have been enough but my hubby wanted to make sure it was DONE![p]Well, this weekend we are moving on to the pizzas and salmon on cedar planks...we've caught the BGE FEVER!.[p]Hope everyone had a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving! This forum is great and all of you are filled with a wealth of information.[p]Wess, sorry for your mishap. Get better soon!

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Liz,
    What a great start, Most large eggs like the bottom slider open all the way and the top wheel exposing the little vents full open to maintain 325-350, For a 250 dome the top little vents are about half open and the bottom vent about 1/8" open.

• Grandpas Grub
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Liz, don't confuse the bottom slider with the bottom vent.[p]If tech18k is refering tho the bottom slider as the bottem vent. I would strongly suggest never leaving the bottom vent open all the way when actully cooking unless you want a potential 700° or much higher cook.[p]While one can control the heat of the egg via the top vent (somewhat) it is a risky practive. If the top vent gets opened by bumping or opening the dome and not noticing the top vent had changed then the egg heat has a potential of skyrocketing.[p]IMHO your bottom vent should control the general overal heat (course adjustment) of the egg and the top vent should be a fine adjustment.[p]Low temp cooks the bottom vent is as stated about 1/8" 300° - 400° is about 1/4". 500° about 3/8" (once in a while 1/2").[p]I have found I really don't need to use the daisy at all, but the daisy is nice to 'tweek' the temps - or if I am using flavor wood I like to use the top cast iron damper.[p]I will have to open the bottom vent more if I have a lot of samll lump in the egg.[p]Once you get used to yor egg this is all pretty simple.