Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I believe a unique bird question...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey Brother & Sister eggers - [p]I'm doing an 8# turkey breast on my large egg today. Doing the usual - 325F dome up to internal of 160 of bird. Using lump with hickory chips, plate setter, and vertical stand - and doing "Bud in the Butt". That brings me to the question - is there any merit to injecting the bird with anything if I'm doing a beer in the butt (the turkey's - not mine...) This is going to be a simple cook- a poultry rub and beer? Just wondering if I would be wasting my time by injecting and if I did inject, what would go good with the beer?[p]Later!
Morgan[p]

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    MorganR,[p]Injecting will certainly get more "stuff" into the meat than just the steam from a beer can. The only turkey I've ever injected was one that I fried, and I came out quite tasty - it was some kind of cajun injectable marinade - but I did inject the turkey the night before, not the day it was cooked. Hopefully some more educated injectors will chime in on your question.[p]One other comment, though - go easy on the hickory - turkey, like most poultry, really soaks up the smoke and hickory is one of the more potent smoking woods. Don't want to oversmoke that bird![p]Happy Thanksgiving,[p]TRex
  • I'm glad you clarified the placement of the Budweiser can...any number of Eggers could have had a very uncomfortable Thanksgiving otherwise.
  • TRex,
    Thanks for the hickory advice. I hadn't thought of that. I think I may have some pecan or cherry (I know I also have some Jack Daniels barrel chip wood as well) so I think I'll switch to one of those.

• Jeffersonian,[p]:-) The only difference between me and the Turkey is that the Beer can is on opposite ends.... Other than that we are pretty similar.